AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got mine from BestBuy, and have heard they may be loosing money from frequest returns and low margins. No other mainstream stores seem to offer returns of projectors w/o restocking, hopefully this will change.

Have you "Demo'd" a FP, and did you keep it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Kept it. Chose BB for their return policy only. I prefer shopping locally as well. The salesman stated that he had not heard of anyone returning the X1's. I read where BB posted a nice profit for the period and CC posted a loss. I don't see where BB is loosing money.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmm, the subject of the post threw me off. Perhaps there should be some more choices. :) I got a 10 day loaner from Vernon Tech and liked it enough that I bought one from buy.com.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Great Poll....Will be interesting to see the results. One may take these results and draw a conclusion concerning the prevalence of rainbow-prone people. After all, I am fairly sure that there are not many out there that returned it simply because of PQ. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Best Buy most certainly does charge a 15% restocking fee for projectors...at least in my area. BTW they had one projector

open box in my store for $969...they only knocked off $30 yet

they charged the guy $150 to restock it.

Dont lose any sleep at night friend, Best Buy has more money then

they deserve. :) .... Oh and to answer the question , I am keeping

mine. :cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to add: returned then bought X1 elsewhere, but alas I am not a moderator... maybe one can make the addition...

Re: restocking- several posters (including me) have discussed this with a B.B. manager before purchase. Have the manager write 30day return no restocking on your receipt, and you should be covered. It likely depends on a given managers interpretation of the policy. Tell them you are making a $1k purchase sight unseen of a product they don't have set up to see and likley the'll be sympathetic (they don't want to lose a big purchase.)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
A properly run Best Buy will not negotiate a 30day return policy because they simply do not qualify for it. My Best Buy has a 15 day 15% return policy period.

My Best Buy is aware that the profit margin on projectors are very slim and a returned product would likely mean taking a loss.....most items in the store have a huge mark up anyways so they can afford the liberal policy.

That is nice that your Best Buy will negotiate the 30days /no restock fee but others should be aware that this is not the policy and that they

should not expect it. Best Buy makes nearly nothing on the X1 as it is

if the manager in your BB thinks otherwise then that is good for you. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I confirmed the 30 day return policy directly with corporate before I bought mine. Seems to me this should cover all stores!

I may still have the email response from corporate.

To make sure, I also got the 30-day quote on my receipt.

gp

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not seen the x1 on bestbuy's website and was wondering where people are loated who are finding them. i will have to go on out there soon and see if my store has it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jw15851
That's a very high number of returns vs. keeps.

-Jason W
Must be people taking the poll more than once.....Yah...That's the ticket! :D

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I just got one at Best Buy, and I confirmed that it is a 30 day, no restocking fee item. Their 50 foot tall return policy at the front of the store states that only radar detectors, digital cameras, and a few other items get the restock fee.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used the in home infocus demo, and then went to Bestbuy because of the return policy (still wasnt 100% sure). I checked with the store manager, and he said that there is only a 14 day window but there is no restocking fee, after that its up to the manager.

I got mine open box for $899 with on 2 hours on it, no sales tax in DE to boot :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Best Buy in Sacramento refuses to waive the restocking fee. Costco sells them online, and has a liberal return policy however

Chris

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Well, it only took me about 10 minutes to find that the dreaded "rainbow effect" makes this a non-keeper. I wish I wasn't so susceptible to this, because the picture is absolutely awesome, especially for $1,000.

I had one of the first Samsung DLP RPTVs, and the rainbow effect was bad on it too. Somehow I thought maybe I wouldn't notice on this one, but I do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer
Well, it only took me about 10 minutes to find that the dreaded "rainbow effect" makes this a non-keeper. I wish I wasn't so susceptible to this, because the picture is absolutely awesome, especially for $1,000.
As others have said on other threads, it's unfortunate that these forums have created such a rainbow scare. When we buy these X1s, we all sit there and stare at the screen until we find rainbows. After that, it's hard to stop seeing them. It's what I did. Then, something curious happened. I started to realize that I tend to stop seeing/noticing them once I get really into the movie.

My only point in this response is to suggest that all the lurkers planning on test-driving the X1 not try so hard to find the rainbows. Even someone that is not particularly susceptible to them can find them if they really look. Just focus on the picture. If you're one of those few that blatantly see them and cannot tolerate it, you will know soon enough. If you're not, you will be too busy trying to ease the perma-grin that you have had since the second the first movie fires up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.