·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a sickness that is spreading on this board, it has a name:
Co-Dependency

And there is a symptom of this disease, it has a name:
Denial

What is it with you guys, huh??? Thanks to DeepThroat's post, we now know Utne's bottom line. Oh, how he had us fooled! We thought he really cared about the technical issues, like the rest of us do. Probably from his lawsuit, he's so bankrupt he could never afford HDTV, whether COFDM or 8-VSB. He has a vendetta, plain and simple. It's time to let him be.

And are we in denial about our obsession with this guy? Just look at the posts today:
  • 4 major threads
  • Over 101 posts

Be brave guys, face the truth. We all have a bad 'jones' for Bob's inflamitory, ultimately worthless posts. It allows us to take a stand, to be indignant, to puff up our chests... and it is totally without meaning!

WE all can learn from the simple principles of a good twelve step program: The "One Day at a Time" principal. Let's all agree, just for today, not to repond to any posts made by Utne. Do you think we can accomplish this simple task? - I don't know, the addiction is very strong here! Working together, I think we can do it. Let's grant the moderators power to delete any posts we might make because of the strong urge to confront Utne, even though we know now this is addictive behavior and is only self-serving.

In fact, you can practice your program of recovery ight now - read, but do not respond to, this post.

Good luck - you'll need it!

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Though I share your thoughts about Bob, I disagree with your personal attack. I also don't think it is a good idea to inject politics into our HDTV discussions unless it is related to the technical aspect of HDTV. Because no matter which side you are on, you automatically piss off 50% of your audience. I stopped paying attention to politics or even care to make a reference of it, and have been happy ever since and made a lot more friends http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
632 Posts
Isn't the thread title an insult to the alleged lying, cheating scum* named Bill Clinton?

I was OK with Bob until he stepped into the Denver tower thread and said with CODFM there would be no problems - This implies CODFM would need less than 1000W, didn't need towers, or line of sight is meaningless or something.

I do not want to start a political war - I will admit that scum is open to interpretation, but it flows so well with the first two.

[This message has been edited by ADent (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
33,591 Posts
I agree with Mike 100%. I have been imploring everyone on the different sites that BOB pollutes to refrain from replying. I must admit that I am as guilty as anyone and find it nearly impossible to let his lies, distortions etc. go unchallenged. However, now that BOB has been exposed for the fake, phony, fraud that he is, I think we should all find it easier to ignore this sicko. I agree with what another poster said in another thread, BOB has never helped one single person with any HD related problem or issue. He is utterly useless and serves only to detract from our passion and mission.

IGNORE BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Guys. I am making an appeal in not bashing Bob in a new thread. The moderators do an excellent keeping this forum like a coffee house. Lets try to do the same. I very much dislike what Bob brings to this forum(nothing productive) and I email the moderators who have the power to act to preserve the quality of this forum. I suggest you do the same if you feel the need.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson:
Guys. I am making an appeal in not bashing Bob in a new thread. The moderators do an excellent keeping this forum like a coffee house. Lets try to do the same. I very much dislike what Bob brings to this forum(nothing productive) and I email the moderators who have the power to act to preserve the quality of this forum. I suggest you do the same if you feel the need.

Dave

I agree 100%, otherwise we are no different than Bob. Sometimes it may feel good to insult ones we dislike, all I am saying is to think what we can do to advance HDTV.

I am also not implying that I ignore political process. I have personally written several letters to FCC on HDTV issues. I am sure Al Gore understands HDTV more than George W. Bush, but what does that have to do with HDTV Hardware?

The subject title does not only insult one of the AVS members, but many AVS members. At least I thought I was better character than Bill http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

After reading Deepthroat's discovery, as much as I was impressed by his investigative skill, I am troubled by the fact one of AVS member's private information whether accurate or not was publicized, while may be with good intention, was not appropriate.

How would you feel being a target of investigation due to disagreement on this board?

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 03-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Can't we all just get along!"

Let me share a little secret: I never take myself too seriously. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

The analogy actually had nothing to do with politics. I was comparing the love-hate relationship Democrats have with their former leader to a similar relationship I see played out here in AVS with Bob. That's all, period. Please don't put your words in my mouth, thank you very much.

I'm a moderator of another HT forum, and believe me I've tried to control my mischievous side, but I'm not always 100% successful http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I believe that Bob's "exposure" here on AVS is warrented, since he had so dominated many, many discussions. I would read his posts, because I thought he was passionate about digital broadcasts here. I'm passionate about digital broadcasts here. But now that I've learned he has a personal agenda, his passion no longer speaks to me.

I will no longer read his posts. Period.

------------------
J.Mike

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I hope I did not try to put my words in your mouth. I intepreted your subject the way I did and may be I was too sensitive, hopefully most members can see it the same way you intended.

Everyone has some agenda of his own, Bob took his to the extreme, that does not make the debate itself invalid. I don't mind continue to see the debate on HDTV transmission standards, at a minimum it keeps the public informed. It is then up to us to decide if we want to respond to Bob, or even bother to read. And up to the forum admin to decide whether he had taken too much real estate out of AVSForum.com.

I guess after I tried to put my two feet in Bob's shoes, I realized we can all be passionate but still should avoid personal attacks. BTW the shoes did not fit.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, my pop always said:
Quote:
If you stand in the spotlight long enough, you're gonna get hit with a tomato!

------------------
J.Mike

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Banned
215 Posts
Yes, I voted for Clinton but believe that Hundt and Kennard did their best to kill HDTV. Hopefully, Powell will be more enlightened.

Missed all the hoopla about the expose. I admitted previously, http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/011739.html on here that I attempted to save the 12,000 jobs of Zenith employees and the value of Zenith common stock but was beaten in bankruptcy court by LGE. Now, I am investing in several HDTV-oriented companies that would profit from the worldwide rapid implementation of HDTV.

I will not question your motives to defend 8-VSB. That is your personal business and not mine. What is critical to HDTV implementation in the USA are developing a workable business model to convince the 1600 local broadcasters to convert to digital and to expand HDTV programming. It is my belief that the present model with 8-VSB does not work and therefore little new HDTV programming will be demanded.

[This message has been edited by Bob Utne (edited 03-28-2001).]

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bob said...
Quote:
It is my belief that the present model with 8-VSB does not work and therefore little new HDTV programming will be demanded.
OK, so maybe I shouldn't even post this, but Bob its just really wearing thin when you make claims like the above. Here are my conditions:

UHF antenna in the attic with a lot of heating duct and foil in the way along with other miscellaneous wires.

Scrappy, multiply spliced RG-59 cable going 75 feet down to the basement and back up to to the living room (temporary setup).

Literally thousands of trees in the way of line of sight to the broadcast towers. I estimate 60 to 70 of these trees are within 300 feet of my UHF antenna.

Neighbor's house (400 feet back) is in line of sight of the towers.

7 high rises, 3 of which are directly in line of sight of the broadcast towers are within 2-1/2 miles.

I get severe ghosting on analog UHF.

A valley in the neighborhood that has about a 100 foot drop followed by going uphill 100 feet.

I'm 12 miles from the towers.

I get all 4 Atlanta digital stations with 70 to 82 signal level on a DTC-100.

Bob, sorry, but out of all your posts, I just don't see why you think people should be convinced to your way of thinking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.