AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw the Runco 1000VXc, the sharp z90, the sharp z9000 and the panasonic AE100. (big day!)

Everything was off a progessive denon dvd player. While I have to admit the dlp images were more film like, I did get a somewhat weird stomach feeling after watching them (especially the z90). This was in the cab chase portion of The Fifth Element. I did not get this feeling on the AE100.

Screendoor was very acceptable to me on the AE100 on a 92 inch screen at 13 feet. Blacks looked OK to me also (steward geyhawk screen, 0.95 gain IIRC)

But then again I'm used to grey tv blacks, so YMMV. Color was great, and I could not spot any banding on the blue panel. Overall, this projector impressed me alot, and while it did look somewhat digital, it was effortless to watch. I am thinking if the Z1 is so much better than the AE100, I'd be very satified with it.

The Z90 was impressive at its price point. I could not spot rainbows, but I maybe somewhat insensitive to them. The color was natural, but had less punch than ae100 at factory settings. Screendoor was non-existant at 13 feet. Very film like. 4:3 ratio and limited resolution gave a softer, less 3D image than the big boys. You could tell we were losing brightness in 16:9. What bothered me is that queesy stomach feeling i got after 10 minutes. Anybody feel sick after watching the z90?

I then saw the RUNCO, which of course blew it out of the water. Very high detail, and the optical quality of the lense really shows through. At 7X the price, it better be nice ;) They were using an external processor on this unit, I don't know if it comes with the projector. No queesy feeling on this baby, but I don't know why.

Best value in DLP I thought was the z9000, especially at 5k US. 90-95% of the image quality of the RUNCO, at 1/3 the price. The playing field might not have been even, as this was demoed in a different room, with a different? screen. But I thought it was impressive. The thing that surprised me was the sheer size of this unit! This is not a coffee table projector! And the Runco is even bigger! I can't see using a projector this size in anything else than a dedicated room. The AE100 and the z90 I thought were more what I expected in terms of size.

So there it is...after seeing a wide range of dlp projectors, I don't think I will be buying one. Blacks are inky, picture is film-like and smooth, but somehow I find them more fatiguing than LCD.

Based on what I saw on the AE100, i will be getting either sanyo Z1 or panasonic AE300. The decision will be based on wether or not the DVI input, the anti-screendoor and the 5000 h lamp are worth 33% more. Next step is seeing an AE300 and the famed peekaboo screendoor.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to explain, but i guess eye strain could cover it. It seemed like I was making a subconscious effort while looking at the screen. Maybe I just read to many avs threads too...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have seen the z90 and the z9000. They both looked great, but I cant deal with the eye strain. I also get a mild headache when exposed to dlp projectors. I say mild because I have only watched them for a max of around 30 minutes at a time (this was the z9000). The z90 gave me much more eye strain and made my wife feel dizzy and sick to her stomach after only about 5 minutes. I have never seen a rainbow though. DLP is definitely out for us, although it does look great but then again so does the LCD projectors I have seen and I can watch them without any problems. I am also considering the Z1 and am pretty sure this will be the projector we go with. Hopefully one day they will get dlp technology improved and I can actually watch one without feeling uncomfortable, but it doesnt really bother me since the lcd ones I have seen look great to me.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.