AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Demon Souls – Style/Similar Game

Today Amazon has a special on RPG games. I do not want to get into the debate of if Demon Souls is an RPG game, so I would just like to know what other titles are similar? Demon Souls is my all time favorite game, to date… Now what can I get that is similar? I like the “action” with the lvl ups in demon souls

Thanks

PS. I have tried Dragon Age... Did not care for it at all... too much talk and no action

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine5555 /forum/post/19640899

I like the “action” with the lvl ups in demon souls

Sounds like you're much more the action-RPG type. Not a lot of options on the PS3, unfortunately.

You may want to try Valkyria Chronicles. It's on off-the-beaten-path strategy RPG that combines a third-person shooter with a big character roster SRPG. Definitely one of the lesser known treasures on the platform. It's not really anything like Demon's Souls, though (but, then, what is?).

EDIT: Depending on just how badly you want a Demon's Souls style game, the Monster Hunter games (on PSP and Wii) fit the bill perfectly. It just means you need another platform than the PS3.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You. I just ordered "Resonance of Fate"... I figured for 20.00, I would give it a try. I have played Oblivion, and enjoyed that one as well. I am looking at Valkyria Chronicles, that might be worth a try. Fallout 3 might be fun, I will look into that one as well. What about darksiders?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Demon's Souls is pretty unique, and anything else you play may be a let down. You may want to wait for Project Dark to be released. However, if you need a game right now, I would say Fallout 3 because it has action (FPS'ish) and you level up, which seem to be your most important criteria. I wasn't fan of New Vegas, so I won't recommend that one. One other RPG I enjoyed a lot was Valkyria Chronicles. Like you, I was not a fan of Dragon Age.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad /forum/post/19641199

Borderlands? That'd be considered an Action RPG.

I thought the same.. I had tried that, and it looked good, however I quickly lost intrest as I could not aim and shoot very well. The dogs kept getting me, and I could not see them to kill them. I am not very good at FPS

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm the worst person in the world at FPS', but I got the Borderlands' plat. I used Brick as he's a brawler and a rocket launcher guy. Better character for those of us with questionable aiming prowess.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine5555 /forum/post/19641977

I thought the same.. I had tried that, and it looked good, however I quickly lost intrest as I could not aim and shoot very well. The dogs kept getting me, and I could not see them to kill them. I am not very good at FPS

If you elect to try Fallout 3, you will probably want to stick with VATS targeting, as the direct FPS mechanics are pretty loose and unsatisfying. But this is OK, because VATS is awesome.

- Jer

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
It sounds kind of stupid but I played Yakuza 3 over the weekend and it has a lot of RPG in its design. You can level up (nothing fancy), there are lots of sidequests and stuff to find, combat is semi-random, lots of dialogue, etc. And of course the battle system is pure action beat-em-up. It starts out really slow but gets pretty fun.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
There really is nothing else out there like it, but keep your eye out on Project Dark in 2011 which is the next action adventure by the Demons' Souls team. While not a sequel, there will probably be enough similarities for DS fans to enjoy it.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/19643509

Amazon has Demons Souls for 14.99 at the moment ... in case any are late to the party.

Just saw this when I was checking on the price of the Driving Force GT wheel I want to get for GT5.Gonna be picking it up today! Can't wait to try it out. I have heard a lot of really good things about it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli100 /forum/post/19647010

I'm currently playing Castlevainia:LOS and it kinda has an action-orientened Demon Souls feel to it. It's also a pretty long game and production value is top notch.

I tried Castlevainia, I am getting too old. It was a bit to "twitchy" for me. I cannot keep up with you young guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.