AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if any members in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area know of any places that have LCD,DLP projectors($8-10K) that are calibrated for optimal viewing. I've read so many different opinions on different projectors, I think that it would be best to see them for myself. Thanks!

-Dan

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Check Audio/Video Alternatives in Royal Oak (Woodward ave.).

Audio Video Systems in Rochester.

Both dealers deal primarily with LCD. Not much in Michigan with respect to projectors.

Jeff

(Bloomfield Township)

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Not a personal recommendation, but the Gramaphone likely has some as well. I bought sight unseen, online.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
408 Posts
You won't have much luck finding a local A/V retailer with projectors "calibrated for optimal viewing." Audio/Video Alternatives is probably your best bet in terms of proper setup and calibration. Pecar's Home Theater in Troy has the Seleco DLP's. The Gramaphone carries Sony and Vidikron, and at one time even had a JVC D-ILA on display (but I think they gave up on the D-ILA because they couldn't figure out how to calibrate it properly.) Audio/Video Alternatives has the Sharp LCDs and the Dreamvision (Davis) DLP's.

Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
There ARE a few of us in Michigan who can do it right. I'm sales manager for AVIO, Inc. in Troy. We are a systems integrator/custom installer, not a storefront retailer. I've been in the busines for 21 years, including 6 as custom install manager for the Gramophone and some time on the manufacturing side. We belong to CEDIA, PARA,and NSCA. CE Pro magazine just ranked us as #1 in Michigan, #31 in the nation. Crestron just announced that we are the #1 Crestron dealer in the Midwest. I am ISF certified and color analyzer equipped. We are an authorized dealer for Sony, Runco, Sharp, Pioneer Elite, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Faroudja, DaLite, Stewart, Draper, Extron, Krell, Lexicon,Bryston, Denon, B&W, M&K, Paradigm and many others. As a Sony CIS (Consumer Integrated Systems) dealer, we are the ones Sony will reccommend to you for installation.

We do have showroom facilities-we're waiting for The new Sony 11HT and Sharp 9000, although we do more with CRT than DLP or LCD. Salespeople work by appointment, as we spend more time in the field with clients/architects/builders than in the office. We are not really interested in e-tail-most good brands don't allow it, and we are more interested in serious customers who need (and want) design help and installation. If you live in Michigan (we also have a location in Petosky and soon in Brighton) and are looking for experienced advice, give me a call at 248-280-2200 or email at [email protected]l.com.

By the way- right now I simply cannot accomodate ISF calibrations for clients who purchased displays elsewhere- if things slow down, maybe we could work that back in, but it's just not practical right now-our own clients have to have first priority.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Jeff,

As a recent transplant to Florida (but Oakland county native), I can attest to AVIO's capability. I now work with Tom Reno, your former Lutron programmer extrordinaire, and he speaks very highly of you and everyone at AVIO.

BTW, John Gannon sends his best!

Best Regards,

Pat Megenity

Convergence Editor, SGHT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi there - I got to view the Seleco ht200 and HT250 at the Ensemble. They are on Haggerty, just south of Richardson I think it is Commerce Twp. That is one classy store. They are in the process of re-doing their CRT room, but everything else is top notch.

------------------

Sometimes I think we are alone, sometimes I think we are not, either way the thought is staggering...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.