AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop has both priced about the same.

The main difference I'm wondering about is the 2803 has Dolby Digital EX while the 1082 doesn't. Is this something that will make a big difference in home theatre listening w/a 6.1 speaker set-up?

The others are;

110W for the 1082 vs 90-W for the the 2803. I don't think I'll notice this diffence at all. (I did notice however that the 1082 weighs a little over 36 lbs. where the 2803 weighs in about 29 lbs.)

The 1082 seems more solid but just wondering how much of a difference the Dolby Digital EX makes with most movies these days.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
please,someone give me a hand here. This is my first foray into the receiver world since my Pioneer purchase 5 yrs. ago when things were simple and there was no "Dolby Digital EX" to think, much less worry about.

Again,any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
654 Posts
There isn't any "real" difference between the 2 for the DD-EX part. If memory serves, the 1082 decodes DD-EX the same except that when it came out, THX and Dolby had not yet worked out the licensing (so that it could be labeled as such.)

As for which one, I would lean strongly toward the 2803. Power-wise, it looks like the 2803 is very very similar to the 1082. But one key improvement is that the 2803 is more refined from a user friendliness standpoint. The 2803 has more/better input format memories. It treats DPL II Music mode and DPL II Cinema mode as separate modes. I went from a 3802 (which is the same as a 1082) to a 3803 and the user changes were, IMO, worth every penny. (There are more changes than this but it's early!)

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.