AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone would let me know of a place to buy this at? Goodguys has it for $450 on sale with free shipping and no tax. Also, I see that most places sell the refurbished ones. Are these refurbed units as good as a new one? Would you take a chance on a refurbed one?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I' ve been wondering the same thing. I've also been wondering whether the Denon 1805 is a better choice because I have been told it has updated audio and video. Also, there is a Yamaha in the same price range with the same chip set as the 1600. So if I could add to your question, which player and new or refurb?

Many people say refurb has a lower theoretical chance of failure since it is supposed to be hand inspected at the factory. The problem as I understand it is that Denon won't warrant from unauthorized dealers, which as far as I know, are all the e-tailers I have found that sell refurb. The same goes for new players. The refurb may never carry a manufacturers warranty - but a warranty from the dealer, which may be after market. Since we're not talking about a $1,000 player, the differential is small - maybe $150. I'd rather play that much more for piece of mind. But I'm still going to look into the Denon 1805 and the Yamaha something or other.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just talked to Denon, and here are their official refurbished online dealers:

Ubid, Spidergear,Dakmart,PC Mall(Macmall,ecost).

So if you get it from PC Mall(which is usually cheaper in the long run than ecost for some odd reason), it will have a full 90day Denon warranty.

Scott

·
Registered
980 Posts
Dakmart sells them for $350 on that famous auction site with a one-year warranty

·
Registered
185 Posts
For what it's worth, bought a refurbed Sanyo XP21N pj a year ago and no problems at all to date. I called the suthorized service center fro Sanyo before buying and asked a tech what she thought about refurbed and her comments were similair to above. They are checked out and sent out after bringing them back to full spec. Many times it's just open box refurbs.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.