Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got a Denon 1600 because of all your good comments about it, thanks first. Now I don't know what's the best way for me to connect the audio to my 2 channel system.

I have a DAC to a stereo preamp (no DD, no DTS, no ProLogic) to power amp. If I connect the digital out from 1600 to the DAC, I need to choose PCM. Is this PCM signal pure PCM or they are downconverted from DD/DTS? Does it sound better if I just use the 2 channel out from 1600 and connect to my preamp? My preamp is not a surround processor. Is this 2 channel signal PCM or it's downconverted from DD/DTS?

Lots of questions, thanks first.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It depends on the DVD.

Most movies have DD and DTS and perhaps DD Stereo. Presumably you would get the best results from selecting the DD Stereo soundtrack since it would be "professionally" created rather than downconverted in the player.

Many music DVD's have PCM soundtracks (Fleetwood Mac The Dance, for example) so you could just listen to that version.

The answer to your question is that in most cases, it would be a downcoversion. In some cases, and upconversion (DD 2.0 -> PCM Stereo) and in some cases a passthrough. Depends on the material.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
And in cases where you are downconverting from DD to 2 CH in the player, you loose whatever bass may have been present on the .1 channel (if one was used).

BGL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
It depends on the DVD.

Most movies have DD and DTS and perhaps DD Stereo. Presumably you would get the best results from selecting the DD Stereo soundtrack since it would be "professionally" created rather than downconverted in the player.

Many music DVD's have PCM soundtracks (Fleetwood Mac The Dance, for example) so you could just listen to that version.

The answer to your question is that in most cases, it would be a downcoversion. In some cases, and upconversion (DD 2.0 -> PCM Stereo) and in some cases a passthrough. Depends on the material.
Cheezmo,

Do you mean by setting the DVD player's digital out to PCM, the player would decode the DD or DTS signal to digital stereo signal, instead of just sending out PCM digital stereo signal? (Assuming I select DTS from a DTS DVD)

What about the 2 channel analog output, is the signal decoded from DD/DTS to PCM stereo?

I'm assuming it's better for me to use the digital out because of my better external DAC, is that true?

You mentioned it's better to use the "professionally" designed stereo track, do you mean DD 2.0 or PCM track? Will I be missing the DD/DTS sound effects even though I'm just using 2 channel?

Many questions. They are just too confusing and most people I ask, they don't know what I'm talking about....

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
hi all, mind if i jump in with a couplea questions?

Cheezmo,
Quote:
The answer to your question is that in most cases, it would be a downcoversion.
Is there a manufacturer site that quotes this specifically I can read about?

BGL,
Quote:
you lose whatever bass may have been present on the .1 channel
doesn't the player downMIX as well when you tell the player to output to stereo? i.e. DD5.1 -> PCM2.0

LZB,

First off, I think you'd need to set your center, surround and LFE channels to NONE in your DVD player setup. just so it knows you are doing stereo.

Quote:
Do you mean by setting the DVD player's digital out to PCM, the player would decode the DD or DTS signal to digital stereo signal, instead of just sending out PCM digital stereo signal? (Assuming I select DTS from a DTS DVD)
IF you select DTS, as Cheezmo mentioned, the DTS signal is downconverted to PCM digital signal. I guess if there was a PCM track you could select that and no conversion would be needed

Quote:
What about the 2 channel analog output, is the signal decoded from DD/DTS to PCM stereo?
you would be using the DACs on your player in this case, and the player would decode the DD/DTS or PCM to analog

Quote:
I'm assuming it's better for me to use the digital out because of my better external DAC, is that true?
yes if your external DAC is better than the denon DAC. you will need to set the player to output DD and DTS as PCM instead of bitstream though.

Quote:
You mentioned it's better to use the "professionally" designed stereo track, do you mean DD 2.0 or PCM track?
I think cheezmo means both DD2.0 and original PCM (if present) would be mixed for stereo in the first place.

Quote:
Will I be missing the DD/DTS sound effects even though I'm just using 2 channel?
IMHO DD and DTS in the first place provide the center channel, surround and LFE in addition to the two main channels; if the player downmixes these during conversion into stereo all the 'sound' information will be there, but you will lose the localization and assuming you don;t have a subwoofer setup a lot of the low frequency effects will be gone too. Most stereo systems suffice for music bass reproduction but you definitely need a sub for the movies LFE. It would take some pretty special stereo imaging to duplicate all the surround effects..

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Quote:
IMHO DD and DTS in the first place provide the center channel, surround and LFE in addition to the two main channels; if the player downmixes these during conversion into stereo all the 'sound' information will be there
I have no idea how DTS works, but I am quite sure that I have read on numerous occasions that DD 5.1, mixed down to two channel, discards the .1 channel if one was present.

I can't post a link confirming this, so I will stand down if this is proved otherwise.

Perhaps Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs will look in on this thread and comment.

BGL

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
BGL thanks. I wish there was somewhere we could read about what is supposed to happen in DVD players when we select these setup options

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
There are quite a few tech papers here:

http://www.dolby.com/

As far as downmixing goes, I think it is pretty straight forward save for the discarding of the .1 channel (assuming I did not dream that!).

As for bass management, thats an entirely different kettle of fish, but there is a lot of info on that as well.

BGL

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
BGL

thanks for the link! searched the knowledgebase and found 'downmix' in an article titled "How do I connect my DVD player" (I'd link if i was here longer)

Quote:
1. If you are playing DVDs through a two-channel stereo TV set or audio system, or an older home theater system that provides only Dolby® Surround Pro Logic® decoding (and not Dolby Digital), you should connect the player’s analog stereo output to a spare stereo input on the playback system. The two-channel Dolby Digital decoder built into the player will “downmix†5.1-channel Dolby Digital programming, such as movie soundtracks, to Dolby Surround-encoded analog stereo.

which seems to imply that the .1 channel is included in the downmix.

downconversion of DD is generally redundant because all multichannel receivers can deal with a DD bitstream, but i can't find any info on the DTS site as regards older receivers without a DTS decoder

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BGLeduc
I have no idea how DTS works, but I am quite sure that I have read on numerous occasions that DD 5.1, mixed down to two channel, discards the .1 channel if one was present.

I can't post a link confirming this, so I will stand down if this is proved otherwise.

Perhaps Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs will look in on this thread and comment.

BGL
I think you are correct about DD. Also, FYI, DTS cannot be downconverted, which is why all DVDs must have at least a PCM or DD track to comply with DVd spec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.