AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Denon 1600 appears to have too much green in progressive mode. Last night I compared progressive vs. interlaced on several DVDs on my LT240K projector (factory sRGB settings). The color difference ranged from barely noticeable to YUK! that's WAY too green. Is this normal? Is there any advanced menu setting on the 1600 I can change?

The DVDs:

-Piglets Big Movie: Little difference

-Monster's Inc: Some difference, mostly in yellow

-Sound of Music: Some difference, greens a little brighter, a hint of green in blacks

The difference in color in the above 3 movies were small enough that I could easily live with the progressive signal, and could probably adjust out the little bit of extra green. However:

-Harry Potter 2: YUK! Greens were way too much, flesh tones noticeably greener

-LOTR 1 & 2: YUK! Green rocks, green Orcs, everyone has green eyes

Of course, the picture was much sharper in progressive, but the bad color overshadowed it.

BTW, when I first got the 1600, I used Avia's blue bars to calibrate the LT240K. It looked good until I played LOTR TTT. I went back to the factory settings to compare. Will using a custom setting on the projector (where I can adjust the colors individually) and the Avia green bars pattern give acceptable results? Thanks.

Brett

·
Registered
28,463 Posts
I have a Denon 1600 with the original LT-240. No such problem here.

Dumb question: Are you sure you've set the projector's VGA input for a YPbPr signal and not RGB?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have gone through three Denon changers. 2- 1815 , the first had just plain bad color. The second would lock up after 10-30 minutes on several different DVDs.

The third, 2815(Good Guys gave me a demo for the same price as the 1815) woirk fine but...

After about a week of not using it, a few DVDs showed a green cast. I fidddled with cables and the color came back.

Today there was no problem. I am not sure about Denon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Check that all 3 of the component cables are firmly seated in each end (player and TV). If one weren't making contact, that could account for your problem.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
An some got made at me for my post on why the JVC is better than a Denon 1600.

Maybe just maybe there are some defective one out there? I mean no brand is always perfect.

Maybe the factory in Japan had a bad run or ran out of one chip and went with a cheaper one?

·
Registered
362 Posts
uh, and you are also trying to make it out that lots of people are having problems with green on the Denon 1600. Its only one guy.

he could have crappy cables. or it could be his connections on his TV or he may just have a dud Denon 1600. But to use this as fuel for your JVC rant is just wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
I have a Denon 1600 with the original LT-240. No such problem here.

Dumb question: Are you sure you've set the projector's VGA input for a YPbPr signal and not RGB?
The projector is set to the default auto-detect mode; I'll try setting it to component.

Quote:
Check that all 3 of the component cables are firmly seated in each end (player and TV). If one weren't making contact, that could account for your problem.
I'll check. They could be loose, since I disconnect and store the projector when not in use. However, since the interlaced signal looks fine (color-wise), I don't think that's it. :confused:

Quote:
he could have crappy cables...
Maybe. I ordered the cables with the projector. I don't remember who made them, but I'm sure they were custom made. Would a way to check the cables be to swap the green and blue connections (both ends, of course ;)) and look for a difference?

My goal is to learn if it is normal for there to be a dramatic color difference between interlaced and progressive, or do I have a problem somewhere. It seems that it is not normal, so I must have a problem either in the setup or the DVD player. I want to eliminate the setup possibilities before I have to either exchange the player or have it repaired. (I really like the sharper picture in progressive, so I want to keep it, but my wife keeps asking why we needed a new player when my old interlaced Sony worked fine.:eek: )

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LT240 may have a green cast. Try Hoya MMC (multi-coated, heat resistant glass from Japan) FL-D (flourescent day) which filters 1/2 of the green and enhances reds. It will also deepens your black slightly. It's only $30 on line. Try it and you may like it. Plus, it protects your lens.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the factory in Japan had a bad run or ran out of one chip and went with a cheaper one?
This is the second time you've mentioned this.

Are you just speculating or do you know for sure there is a 'bad run' of 1600s?

It's a serious accusation to say Denon swapped in an inferior chip without anything to back this up. They would be blasted for false advertising if this were true.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
LT240 may have a green cast. Try Hoya MMC (multi-coated, heat resistant glass from Japan) FL-D (flourescent day) which filters 1/2 of the green and enhances reds. It will also deepens your black slightly. It's only $30 on line. Try it and you may like it. Plus, it protects your lens.
I have an FL-D filter that I haven't tried yet, but wouldn't a green cast from the projector show up in both interlaced and progressive? I'll experiment some more tonight.

Brett

·
Registered
28,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettV
I have an FL-D filter that I haven't tried yet, but wouldn't a green cast from the projector show up in both interlaced and progressive?
Yes, it should. Progressive scan deinterlacing really shouldn't have any effect on the colors at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I spent 2 hours tonight playing with Avia and the various settings on my projector, and looking at several movies. I also set the projector input to component rather than auto-detect. There still is a noticeable difference between interlaced and progressive, but the difference is less now. Grays, like stones and bricks, still have some green tint, but flesh tones look better. However, I may have messed up the "shade" of green; I'll check tomorrow. It's a good thing the LT240K has several user settings I can play with.

I'll send an e-mail to Denon to see what they have to say. Thanks for the suggestions.

Could it be the projector, rather than the 1600? I hope it's the $330 DVD player rather than the $2300 projector, but at least they are both new and under warranty.

Brett

·
Registered
28,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettV
Well, I spent 2 hours tonight playing with Avia and the various settings on my projector, and looking at several movies. I also set the projector input to component rather than auto-detect. There still is a noticeable difference between interlaced and progressive, but the difference is less now. Grays, like stones and bricks, still have some green tint, but flesh tones look better. However, I may have messed up the "shade" of green; I'll check tomorrow. It's a good thing the LT240K has several user settings I can play with.

I'll send an e-mail to Denon to see what they have to say. Thanks for the suggestions.

Could it be the projector, rather than the 1600? I hope it's the $330 DVD player rather than the $2300 projector, but at least they are both new and under warranty.
This is just a guess, but is the DVD player set for the Lighter or Darker black level? If it's set for Lighter, that only applies to the interlaced output and when you turn on progressive scan that should automatically knock you back down to 0 IRE. Possibly the slightly darker picture from the 0 IRE setting comes across greener? In which case all you have to do is recalibrate the projector for that black level.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
This is just a guess, but is the DVD player set for the Lighter or Darker black level? If it's set for Lighter, that only applies to the interlaced output and when you turn on progressive scan that should automatically knock you back down to 0 IRE. Possibly the slightly darker picture from the 0 IRE setting comes across greener? In which case all you have to do is recalibrate the projector for that black level.
I'm pretty sure the DVD player is set to "Cinema", which I think is darker. The calibration I did last night was with the progressive signal and the "Cinema" mode on. I don't think it's the darker picture. For example, in Harry Potter 2, in the train station, the gray bricks take on a green tint in progressive. In LOTR TTT, the brass (gold?) in Gimli's headgear gets a bit greener (tarnished ;)) in progressive.

After calibration, it's better than it was, and not objectionable (no more artifical looking GREEN grass, etc.), but noticeable. I want to experiment more (changing color temperature, green level, etc.). Also, I haven't tried the FL-D filter yet. I'll keep trying, and maybe post to the projector forum.

Brett

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had a problem with my HS10 doing something similar to you- it would go greenish in progressive, but be fine interlaced. It was the supplied video cable doing it; apparently the doubled bandwidth of the progressive signal was too much.

A new set of high-quality cables solved the problem permanently.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have this problem - green hued Progressive - using hi quality components from Bettercables.com on a JVC XV-FA95GB. Only I use the DVD Player in Interlaced mode becuase I have a better deinterlacer in my TV.

For the sake of trying, I adjusted some settings in the DVD user menu and made it better but its still pretty odd. A really good scene for noticing it is the Lobby Shooting Spree in The Matrix.

Before i realized I was better off using the TV's deinterlacer, I spent a couple days thinking this scene was shot with a green lense filter...

jb

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
jb33,

You're kidding, right?;) If not; FYI, the scenes in the Matrix that take place in the AI world ARE shot with a greenish hue. Its was done that way on purpose.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have this problem also on my Denon 1600, but I am pretty sure it is the TV not the DVD player.

I have tried 3 other DVD Players all show a little too much green on the color chart when testing with DVE and AVIA.

In my case it is not the Denon.

How are the AVAI and or DVE test looking?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slb
jb33,

You're kidding, right?;) If not; FYI, the scenes in the Matrix that take place in the AI world ARE shot with a greenish hue. Its was done that way on purpose.

-Steve
there is still a greenish hue in interlaced but not a green filter as in progressive mode. in interlaced, the coloring is subtle, in progressive, its a bit over the top.

maybe The Matrix makes for a good example of the problem of an overall greenish push on progresive since there is already green there - its really pronounced in the matrix, but the problem presents itself across my collection.

is this scene any more or less green for you if you switch between progressive and interlaced mode?

jb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.