AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is any significant difference between the Denon DVD-1600 and the Denon DVD-900 in terms of video quality? The DVD-1600 seems to get raves here, in the shootout and most everywhere for its video performance and build quality. The DVD-900 seems very similar for about $150 to 200 less and yet doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

The both appear to use the same Faroudja DCDi decoding engine. The only apparent difference as far as I can tell is that the DVD-900 lacks DVD Audio capability and Built-in Dolby Digital, dts and DVD-Audio decoders. So the difference seems to be solely related to audio. What am I missing?

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
This question has been answered in many previous threads.

The DVD-900 has a softer picture. The DVD-1600 is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Joshua,

I was hoping to take the question a few steps further.

1. Is there a 5 DVD version of the 1600

2. Is there a consensus as to whether the 1805 is worse, as good, or better than the 1600? I heard the 1805 has updated circuits of some kind, although I don't know what.

3. Why are people unwilling to discuss the Yamaha DV-C6480. It seems to be a 5DVD player with the same Faroudja chipset and solid build quality.

I'll be using a Panasonic L300u projector and a 45x80 (92") diagonal screen. The pj apparently has a soften function. Some have commented that the 1600 is too digital-like in its film reproductions. I'm a newbie and not overly critical. Quite frankly, I'm thrilled that I've been able to convince my wife to let me buy this gear. And I think she wants either a single DVD and 5 CD player (in which case I'd want to get DVD-A or SACD) or a 5DVD player with at least one audio - I don't need both, and maybe won't use either.

Anyway, for the money, I have narrowed my choices to the 1600, 1805 and Yamaha 6480. Can you give me advice?

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nahtanoj
1. Is there a 5 DVD version of the 1600
Not from Denon. The Pansonic CP-72 has the same MPEG decoder and deinterlacing chips, but inferior audio DACs if you plan to use the analog ouputs.

Quote:
I'll be using a Panasonic L300u projector and a 45x80 (92") diagonal screen. The pj apparently has a soften function.
I don't know the specifics of that projector, but I'd say in general any type of electronic softening is not usually a good thing. The projector will almost certainly have a focus adjustment, and you can always defocus the image a little bit if you feel the picture is too sharp or 'digital'-looking.

Quote:
Some have commented that the 1600 is too digital-like in its film reproductions.
I find these complaints exaggerated. The 1600 puts out a terrific picture.

Quote:
Anyway, for the money, I have narrowed my choices to the 1600, 1805 and Yamaha 6480. Can you give me advice?
I can't really help you with those other players, but I like my 1600 quite a bit as far as performance goes. I wish it had more in the way of convenience features like a time-remaining counter, but I can live without those things so long as the picture and sound are good. And they are.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks! But can you please help with Denon 1600 vs. Denon 1805 and Yamaha I mentioned. I read reviews and it seemed close in review to the 1600 in a 5 DVD changer. But it wasn't included in the shoot-out and for whatever reason people seem to be stuck on the Denon's and Panasonics - and I have a Denon receiver and an interlaced Panasonic DVD player - and am getting a Panasonic pj, so like both companies. But want to find out more about the Yamaha.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a 1600. I returned a 1805. I also own a Yamaha CX1.

The 1600 is a keeper in my opinion for all the reasons expressed in previous posts. The 1805 I had would randomly turn on cc for short periods of time...an very annoying habit. I subsequently read in this or another av forum about others who experienced the same. Back it went. The CX1 has excellent video performance (see "secrets" database) with the convienence of a 5 disk changer. I use it primarily for DVD-A as I think the audio (5.1 outs to my Ref50) is excellent. I would not hesitate, though, to use the CX1 for a multi DVD-V series marathon, etc. Be prepared to have some difficulty finding one as they seem to be in short supply. One last thing on the CX1...has no bass management, but I also have a Outlaw ICBM hooked up to the CX1 5.1 outs and get all the bass managemnet I need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.