AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between Panasonic RP91 vs. Denon 1600. These players are in the same price ballpark, and both handle DVD-A.

I believe the major differences are: 1. Panasonic has scaling and Denon doesn't and 2. Denon has bass management and Panasonic doesn't. Any other important differences?

I will be buying the Anthem AVM20 which provides bass management for DVD-A, so this is not an issue for the DVD player. I will be buying the Panasonic 42" plasma, which may or may not lock into full mode when fed a 480p signal -- so I'm not certain whether or not the scaling feature is important.

Any insights/opinions?

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to a *professional* review of the Panasonic RP91.

Thanks,

TMG

·
Registered
220 Posts
TMG,

Check out the link below for secret's review of the 1600.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...00-6-2002.html

I just bought this unit and the picture quality is great. Based on Secret's testing the denon's video section is better. I have never seen the Panny's picture so I can not compare them.

However, the 1600 has no chroma error and my unit has no flicker problems. The image on the disks I have watched were stunning. Superbit Patriot, TS 1, Enemy at the Gates(supposedly replete with flicker problems on the Panny 56) it had none and Training Day.

This is a much better player than my Pioneer Elite dv-37.

The new Panny 82 may be as good.......but the video section on this unit is indeed stunning.:cool:

As for DVD-A, I am a SACD fan and wanted a new DVD player that had this capability with great video. I bought one disk so far, George Benson's Breezing. It certainly is much better than CD version. The sounds of the cymbals are different than SACD, I am not sure yet if it is better. It is a very clean sound but to me, still sounds too digital for my liking.

I am looking for a DVD-A disk that has the highest level, 24/192 for 2 channel. I was unable to tell from the packaging at from Tower's selection if there are any.

Try out the 1600 once you get our TV set up, Tweeter has both and you could trade up if you don't like the 1600. I am betting you will.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got the flicker problem on 1600. I used chapter 1 (the beginning) of TOY STORY to verified this. Does the mean my 1600 is defective?

Any suggestions?

Frank

·
Registered
252 Posts
OK I just got another 1600 and I still having the same flickering on Toy Story. Anybody knows why this is happening?

Frank

·
Registered
220 Posts
Frank,

Exactly what part of TS are you having the problem? What scene, what object?

I still have not seen this problem at home. And I do not believe this unit is the 56. How can it be because it passed more tests than the 56.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Joe

It's at the beginning of Toy Story when the camera it's coming down and then the camera pans from right to left before you see Mr. piggy bank.

Frank

·
Registered
299 Posts
Joe: After the piggy bank , In the shot with Mr Potato head holding the plastic gun, the pink hair on the toy behind the gun and the row of LEDs on the robot flicker. Also, in the title sequence, the red of the Toy Story 'logo' flickers.

What size/kind of TV are using ? What conection type are you using ? Are you running the player progressive or interlaced ? I have been auditioning the player in progressive mode with component hookup on 50"+ RPTVs and large screen projectors.

TMG: I am currently trying out the RP-91. I think the picture quality on flim sources is superb. Its not a very good performer on TV shows that are shot on film and edited on video (e.g. Star Trek NG and Xena ( no flaming please !) ), as it combs on the edits unless you force it into video mode. The panasonic is said to have much better performance in both the all video interlacing and stessing cadence conditions. Unfortunately for me the flicker on my setup was more distracting than less than leading edge de-interlacing performance. Also the letterbox zoom mode for non-anamorphic material on a widecreen set is very nice. I'm enjoying many more of my discs with it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aaron,

I have a Mitt 65857(progressive mode for dvd). As with all Mitts it has the red push. I use a attenuater to lower the red input. I was using a -3db one. The 1600 has such bright colors compared to my old Pioneer dv-37 I switched to a -6db one. With these hook up and the color and tint set to 0 I see no flicker. I removed the attenuater and the flicker is there slightly, not noticeable a viewing distance. Up close the edges of a couple or red objects pulsated some.

The picture is so good, colorful and sharp that this tiny problem won't cause me to return this unit. Yet anyway. I still have 26 days to test it out. Since the flicker error is cause by a switch in the wrong position(so I have been told) it could be fix by a firmware upgrade, right?

Also my contrast and brightness settings are around 35% of max. I kept the room dark for film viewing.

In watching TS II tonight, I saw quite a bit more detail than with my other DVD player. Shading on faces color of everything is brighter. When Jesse is left under the bed by her first owner and then pulled out after a period of time there is a bunch of dust bunnies on her right check and neck. I never noticed it before. And the lace of Bo's dresses is so much more detailed. I can put up with a very little not really noticeable problem with my settings.

But I still have 26 days to put the 1600 through its paces.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The denon fails the same amount of tests. The problem is the reviewer did not know how to perform the tests properly. It also fails the abyss.

The flicker issue is their on the 1600. Take a look at chatper 4, the lid on the tinker toy box will flicker. They can hide this by setting CCS to off. You loose vertical chroma resolution, but it is hard to tell with chroma anyway.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
are you saying the secrets review is flawed, then? Will it be corrected? If flawed,its kinda upsetting, because it raved so much about the 1600 I nearly bought one solely due to the review.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Please Note: All Denon 1600's build date of june 2002 or later have the CCS turned off and have ZERO flicker problem. You can check your firmware by holding OPEN & PAUSE on the front panel then hit 7 on the remote all together. The firmware should be 502054..

If its not, contact denon for an upgrade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
quote from joe cole: Since the flicker error is cause by a switch in the wrong position(so I have been told) it could be fix by a firmware upgrade, right?

==========================================

Contact denon. They can send you a disc with firmware 502054 on it.

This firmware turns off ccs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.