AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vanns has a special right now with 20% off on receivers. I'm looking at the two mentioned as they will both be under $300.

I only need 5.1 right now as we just moved in to an apartment and that's all we have room for. Also it gives me a good excuse to buy something better in a couple of years when we are ready for our next house ;

Any thoughts on the two mentioned or anything else I should be considering at this price point? I always appreciate any input, thanks!

Edit: after numerous suggestions of looking at the Yamaha 867 for only another $100 , I have chosen to adhere to that advice and have raised my spending limit accordingly.

So now I'm looking at the Yamaha 867 delivered to my door for exactly $400. What does Denon have that competes with that at that price point?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/0

My vote is for the Denon. For more money than either of these there is the Yamaha 867 at Newegg that is a real bargain and an excellent AVR for the money. It is more than the $300 though.

I hear you on the other Yamaha but I need to chose something for $300 or less.

If you would, can you give me a little insight as to why you chose the Denon?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/0

NR509

You might be able to catch the HT RC360 at $300 if you have a Fry's close.

Both of those would be my choice.

I don't have a Fry's near me and don't want another Onkyo, for no other reason than I want to try something different. I currently own the 604.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

The 591 will EQ the sub while the 471 will not.

So does the Denon EQ the sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/0

If you sell the 604, you could probably get $100 for it. If it were a 605(or even 674) those are still fetching $150+ used.

I understand, selling the Onkyo is already part of my budget for my new receiver, speakers and sub.

·
Registered
29,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie

The 591 will EQ the sub while the 471 will not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109

So does the Denon EQ the sub?

He just said the Denon will EQ the sub!

I would get the Denon over the Yamaha too! The Denon has a better amp section than that Yamaha also.

Is the 20% off on all receivers? Is there a promo code?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

He just said the Denon will EQ the sub!

I would get the Denon over the Yamaha too! The Denon has a better amp section than that Yamaha also.

Is the 20% off on all receivers? Is there a promo code?

I was asking about the 1612 and 471, I didn't realize he was comparing a different Denon then the one I asked about. My bad.

As far as the sale goes its a 48 hr phone sales event. I got the email at noon est. It's 20% off of MSRP. So the 591 would be $279 and the 1612 would be $280. Which is better?

·
Registered
29,307 Posts

Quote:
So the 591 would be $289 and the 1612 would be $280. Which is better?

Do you mean the 471 would be $289? I'm confused.

If you mean the Denon 591 the price is already $279 before any discount but it is out of stock.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

The Denon 1612 will also EQ the sub. All the Denon's do except the entry level 1312.

There is also the Denon 1611 for $295 before discount.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Denon 1611 vs 1612.

1611 is a 7.1 receiver and also does Zone 2. You can play different sources in 2 rooms.

1611 also has analog video to HDMI conversion, really handy if you have a Wii, old gaming device or VCR.

1612 has a newer better GUI interface and a USB input for iPod, but no analog to HDMI video conversion and is only 5.1.

Both use Audyssey MultiEQ and will EQ all your speakers including the subwoofer.

I wouldn't get the Yamaha 471 no matter what.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Agree with others on the choice of the Denon over that model Yamaha. It's just a better all around AVR in this price range. Power wise,connectivity, and other misc. things including the EQ system. I know the 867 is out of your price range but was there an offer for the Yamaha 667? If not then the Denon would be my first choice. Between the 667 and Denon would be a harder choice for me. I'm a Yamaha fan. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it!

Well you guys did it again! I always come on here trying not to over spend my budget and low and behold, now I'm all ears as far as the Yamaha 867 is concerned. After checking Newegg and realizing that it's only another buck, I believe I will raise my budget to 4 bills.

So.... Can we safely say that for 4 bills to my door the Yamaha 867 is the clear winner? Or are you guys going to throw a Denon in the mix for the same price?

One more thing, what are the biggest features that the wife will find useful on the 867 that the other 2 didn't have. I know it's a Network receiver but I'm not exactly sure how that will benefit me. Does it have AirPlay as we both have iPhones and iPads. I prefer not to have to physically connect my computer if I can stream my music from my phone or pad.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, that's why I'm here. I do know where to come for answers, I love this forum. My wife? Well not so much! LMAO she will get over it.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Yamaha does not partake in Airplay(and ATV2 will take care of that anyway).

The 667/867 have dedicated power rails(meaning the video and audio sections are completely separate), multi channel inputs and pre-outs(in case you ever want to add amps).

The 867 adds networking and a 2nd HDMI out in case you ever decide to do a projector.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
Yamaha does not partake in Airplay(and ATV2 will take care of that anyway).

The 667/867 have dedicated power rails(meaning the video and audio sections are completely separate), multi channel inputs and pre-outs(in case you ever want to add amps).

The 867 adds networking and a 2nd HDMI out in case you ever decide to do a projector.
Thank you. Can you explain how the ATV2 will work with our iPads? Please excuse my ignorance.

Edit: ok, I'm slow, lol. I was thinking ATV2 was a feature on the Yamaha, when it just dawned on me that you are speaking of Apple TV2. :O

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Denon has my vote. It has Audyssey MultEQ and dicrete amplifiers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli
The Denon has my vote. It has Audyssey MultEQ and dicrete amplifiers.
Which Denon are you talking about? I've upped my budget to $400

I'm now looking at the Yamaha 867 delivered for that price.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109
Which Denon are you talking about? I've upped my budget to $400

I'm now looking at the Yamaha 867 delivered for that price.
Go for the 867. Extremely hard to beat AVR for that price. Upgradable in the future(add amps if you ever want), analog inputs,and always consistent Yamaha reliability. May not need networking now but may want it in the future.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/0

Go for the 867. Extremely hard to beat AVR for that price. Upgradable in the future(add amps if you ever want), analog inputs,and always consistent Yamaha reliability. May not need networking now but may want it in the future.

Agreed, and the ability to add a second sub latter is always nice too. I don't need most of these features now, but for as little as $100 more, it makes sense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.