AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my JVC RX884-VBK.

I am interested in acquiring separate power amps in the future. I am also considering building a dedicated home theater in the near future. I do have a lot of 2 ch source material (CD's) along with a lot of 5.1 ch material (DVD's)

I am considering either the Denon AVR-1802 or the Pioneer VSX-810s. Both can be had for around $330 on the internet (I am on a fairly limted budget).

Some of the main differences that I care about are:

Denon DD, DTS, DPLII

Pioneer DD, DTS, DTS-ES

Denon 4 pre-outs

Pioneer 7 pre-outs

Denon 5.1 ch input

Pioneer 7.1 ch input

Current System

MPact2 based HTPC

Sony KLW-9000

DishPlayer

Klipsch RB5 Front

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch Quintet Rear

What do the esteemed members of this forum recommend? The biggest difference I see is the DTS-ES vs DPLII. I've been looking through some of the other threads, and I understand DPLII, but how does it compare to DTS-ES? What does the Pioneer do with 5.1 sound out to the 6.1 speakers? What about 2 ch sound?

Thank you all for you time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump, but I was hoping someone could explain the differences (similarities) between the DTS-ES and DPL II on these two receivers.

I can pick up a Denon AVR-1802 at Good Guys for $399 until tomorrow (they have a $100 off sale if you spend $500 on speakers, which I recently did). So I was looking for information before the sale expires.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I believe DTS-ES is a 6.1 channel format, and there are very few titles that are encoded for it. DPLII is an extension of DPL that has gotten very favorable reviews about it's abiltity to extract multi channel information out of 2 channel recordings. In my opinion DPLII would prove to be of more use than DTS-ES.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
904 Posts
DPLII is a way of extracting 5.1 surround from 2 channel, just as ProLogic extracts 4 channel surround from 2 channel. It is MUCH better than ProLogic. DTS-ES adds an additional channel that may be discrete or matrixed but either way takes specially encoded DVDs to play as 6.1 instead of 5.1.

DPLII is far more valuable if you do anything besides watch DVDs. It will transform CDs, TV, VHS, basically everything that isn't already in 5.1 or better.

I don't have it yet, but a good friend recently purchased the denon 2802 and it is great. My current receiver is a very nice 3 year old yamaha that I'm now tempted to replace (if only I had more $$$ :rolleyes: ). Anyway, the denon does a great job with DPLII, I was amazed at the level of separation and "naturallness" of the surround environment. I particularly recall seing an excerpt from an old VHS tape where a prisoner was walking along with his legs chained. The sound of the chains clinking was perfectly centered on the screen, while echoes of the chain came perfectly from the surrounds while dialog moved left and right following the person speaking. It really sounded like a discrete 5.1 setup on old VHS!

The denon also does DD and DTS very well, a bit better than my older (and more expensive) receiver. I haven't heard the pioneer, but I would bet that the greater feature set involved some sacrifices in the parts department. IMHO the pioneer probably does more but sounds worse. I would most likely go with the denon unless you absolutely need the extra inputs and 7 channel setup. Of course, I would definitely listen first and not just take the opinion of some schmoe in a forum (like me:) )

jake

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I am now the proud owner of a Denon 1802.

Now I just need to upgrade my Quintets for SS1's, my subwoofer (Sherwood 212) to the Klipsch KSW-10 or 12 and I'm done! Except for the projector, screen, power amps, aural bass shakers, ...

Help me! :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, half way there :) I now have a Klipsch KSW-12 for only $213 (I love Good Guys open box specials ;))

I just need the surrounds and I'm done

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.