AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the best street price is for the Denon 1802, and any opinions on it's performance in that price range? It looks pretty solid.

Thanks,

· Registered
134 Posts
Crazy Eddie has it for $345. They are not an authorized online retailer though. Denon makes it very clear on their web page that only merchandise bought from their "authorized" online retailers will be covered by warranty. I'm unsure how they can inforce this though.

Guess what? All of their authorized online retailers sell the 1802 for exactly the same amount, $499 (SRP).

I bought my 2802 from an authorized online retailer and my 1600 (DVD player) from an un-authorized online retailer. You have to make the call. $155 difference is a pretty big difference. How likely is it that the reciever will break down during warranty period (1 year)?

I did buy the 2802 for less than SRP though ($600). I called 6th Ave (authorized) and got them down in price. I bet that you could get them down to around $400 on 1802. BE PERSISTANT. I had to talk to a manager.

Good luck,

Flip

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the infomation guys. Anyone not like the 1802 at this price?

· Registered
87 Posts
I was looking very seriously at the 1802. The 1802 does not have separate level and distance adjustments for individual surround speakers (at least according to the manual I downloaded). Because of my room arrangement, I bought the 2802 to get the individual adjustments. Other than that, I think the 1802 would have been fine for me. It may not make any difference for you.

· Registered
36 Posts
I have the 1802, it does let you set the distance and db level for each individual speaker. I've only had the unit a month and am running it with Diva 4.1, 2.1, c3, and a hsu-vtf2 sub. The Denon does a good job of auto-detecting optical or analog output, unlike my Sony receiver I had before. For music I think I like the 5 channel stereo rather than pro logic II, but you can either. I was strongly considering the 2802, but decide for the price I can use the 1802 for several years and then possibly upgrade to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup when it becomes more standard. The only downside is the remote, it has a really bad layout. I suppose you could get one of those really nice learning remotes if it bothers you that much though. I ended up buying the unit from crutchfield for $499 and then using amex blue to pricematch it to $330 from one of those un-authorized dealers (amex recently stopped pricematching on Blue however). I know at least one of those cheap places had a 3 year extended warantee for around $70, I thought about doing that but decided against it.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I am considering this receiver for my daughters bedroom, and it sounds like it has all the bells and whistles of the other units, but with smaller amps. At $350.00 or so, it sounds perfect.

Thanks for the input,

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve,

Thanks. I did know about the preouts, but since it is for my daughters room, I don't think I will be needing them. She recently came into some really fantastic little speakers so I thought I should get her a receiver at least somewhat worthy of them.

BTW I noticed your new sig, but don't quite get the reference. Is that a line from a song or something? :D

· Registered
391 Posts
Couple of questions about pre/post outs.....

1. You mention this receiver has the preouts for the front 3 speakers. When/why would you want to use this?

2. How would you ever "upgrade" this receiver to a 6.1, 7.1, or some other future expansion? I know doing anything to the receiver itself is impossible, but is there anything else you can do? Or do you just put it in another room a buy a new unit that supports these technologies?

Thanks.

· Registered
112 Posts
You would want to use preouts if you have a real amplifier available to replace the dinky little things in the receiver. I myself am looking to integrate something into my existing two channel system without sacrificing too much quality. Fortunately, my amp has two inputs, so I needn't even use a bypass or anything like that.

· Registered
407 Posts
I have the Denon 2802 and I love it. You can buy the 1802 with confidence and don't look back. Be careful with non-authorized dealers. I tried to buy my Denon from AMDV.com and they went out of business after taking my order (and charging my credit card) but before sending the unit. 2 1/2 months later, I got my credit from my credit card company. What a pain. Anyway, I went to a local store in NYC and bargained down to $640 for the 2802 (w/ no tax and including shipping).

Good luck.

-Brett

· Registered
391 Posts
bsd:

I guess my "fear" with the 1802 is that I will buy it, and then want 6.1 or 7.1 in a few months, and be "stuck" with the 1802.

That's why I was asking about it's upgradability.

But, I guess since the 1802 is $200-$300 cheaper than the 2802, if I wait 2 or 3 years, I can just use that $$ to buy a better receiver.

I'm upgrading from a Pioneer 509s which I paid $350 for 2 small years ago. Not only did it break twice (with two different receivers), but from reading these forums, I bet it is no comparison to the Denon. And the Denon is only $100 more....?

My other "fear" is wanting to get more power, but my room is around 10 foot (listening position is 8 foot) by 18 foot, so I'm assuming the 1802 will be plenty to drive my NHT SuperOnes.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YB,

If I remember correctly, the Superones are pretty efficient, so you shouldn't have any trouble running them with the 1802. Receivers really aren't upgradable as far as extra channels are concerned, so if you want 6.1, you will either have to get the 2802 or wait and upgrade later. I have had many pieces of Pioneer electronic equipment and the build quality has been poor.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL. I hear ya.

· Registered
391 Posts
It's just, when I bought that Pioneer, it was about all I could afford, and it was *supposed* to be a nice receiver.

Now, you can get it for like $175.

I just don't want that to happen to my next receiver.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'lll be safe with any of the Denon's.

· Registered
391 Posts
Or with any of the Onkyo's, too, right? I'm considering their line, as well. Perhaps even a factory refurbed 595 for $286 including shipping.

I figure for that price, if I want to upgrade in 2 years, it won't hurt as much as upgrading a $500-800 receiver.

Too many choices....!

· Registered
83 Posts
I notice that the remote codes are available for the 2802 on the denon website. Are the 1802 remote codes the same? I understand that many programable remotes can have difficulties with DENON remotes and the remote codes would be a help.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just don't know that much about the Onkyo receivers, having never owned one. The build quality seems to be good enough, but there has been some talk the last couple of years that they are underpowered, so I will stick with Denon. I like Sherwood, but it so hard to get any info about them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.