AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Rocky -

I've been looking at the same unit, and am about to pull the trigger. I posted here and on another forum a question about this compared to the 2815. Apparently the only differences are the 2815 has DVD-A and a DTS decoder. I'm not interested in DVD-A, and I already have the decoder in my receiver. But I've not been able to find much other info on it. It's obviously not one of the higher end Denons, but it does have the DCDi chip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i just bought a denon 3803 and it seems like a denon dvd player wouuld compliment it nice..and i like the 5 disk changer feature that the 1815 has..but i don't see many replies on it. Hmm well if you buy one let me know how you like it

THanks

Rocky

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Will do. Unless I read a horror story from someone, :eek: I'll probably have it within a couple weeks. Will post first impressions after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw a review that states a few second delay between layer changes on some Denons. As this seems to be an issue with my current player, I am wondering if this has been a problem for anyone on the 1815?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brennt
I saw a review that states a few second delay between layer changes on some Denons. As this seems to be an issue with my current player, I am wondering if this has been a problem for anyone on the 1815?
I had a Denon 910 which from everything I've seen, has identical video/audio processing to the 1815. The 910, 1200, 1815, 2815 all have identical video processing and higher 1200/2815 models have DVD-A added. The layer change on the 910 is pretty slow, as slower or slower than my old Toshiba SD1200. The secrets review even failed the 910 and 2815 on the layer change.

If you want a quick layer change in a Denon, get a 2200 or 2900. Both have an 8MB buffer for a seamless layer change. Its not really a big deal to most people but it is nice to have. I have the 2200 now and I'm loving it so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I have the 1815 and am quite pleased with it so far. I have not yet noticed any layer change issues, but I have not had time to test it either. I expect it should be similar to the 910 and 2815, though, and that certainly wouldn't make it the most responsive in that regard. I am using it on my new Fujitsu P50 and the picture is great. (I have fiddled with both progressive and interlaced some and, frankly, I have noticed very little difference). I think it's an excellent player overall and if you want a changer (as I did) then I think it should top your list.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
johnny -

That's good to hear, because I ordered one earlier this week and should be getting it tomorrow or Friday. I'll be fiddling with it over the weekend and recalibrating my Hit 51UWX20B with Avia, so I will post comments on this thread when I've got it where I want it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
I am interested in buying the denon 1815...anyone have any luck with this machine or know anyone who has....or even know's anything about it..
I am auditioning one right now...here are my thoughts.

First, other equipment: Mits 55807, Denon AVR-3802, and previous DVD player JVC 723GD

Impressions of 1815:

The carousel is not overly noisy...about the same as my old JVC CD changer. It is definitely tolerable. One thing I don't like is when the player first reads a disc, it beeps faintly. Most would not notice or care, but it bugs me.

The background is awful. In the middle it says Denon, then there are other words throughout the screen like "Drama," "Sports", "Action"... Easily the worst DVD background I have seen.

The remote is usable. I like the location of the play/FF buttons. Easy to use. However, if you have a halfway decent universal, I predict you will you it rather than the 1815 remote. I would.

Setup is okay. No big gripes.

Display dimmer cannot be turned off entirely, but it can be reduced. The display shows all 5 DVDs, and the one playing blinks continuously. I hate this, but it is so small that I cannot notice unless I am looking directly at the player. If I am watching the screen (DVD player 6 inches to rt of TV), the blinking is not noticeable.

You can play CDs randomly, which is a plus. I understand some DVD changers don't allow that.

PQ is VERY GOOD. I am still debating if it is better than my JVC. Definitely no chroma.

Layer change sucks. About as bad as my JVC. The layer change on my JVC is the reason I am seeking an upgrade, so this was a huge disappointment. The specs say the 1815 has a 2mb buffer for layer changes, but I guess that is not enough.

So there are pluses and minuses for the 1815. I am still debating whether I will keep it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I just got the 1815, too, and would concur with most of Robert's comments.

However, I have had no issue with layer change. On X-Men 2, the layer change took less than a second...nearly unnoticeable. On Predator, I never noticed the layer change. PQ is great...I moved up from an interlaced player.

I can't comment on the remote...I have a Harmony SST-659 and programmed the 1815 in immediately. Carousel noise is minimal. I agree the background is awful, but, then, that's not what I watch. I don't have an issue with the display dimmer because my gear faces away from me by 90 degrees. I am disappointed (albeit minimally) that it doesn't have a screen saver. It simply keeps the image on the screen (in pause) for 35 minutes, then shuts off (if you have auto power enabled). I do like the status menu which cycles through disc elapsed/remaining time, track elapsed/remaining time, layer status and audio status. The audio menu allows to cycle through all audio options on-the-fly (DTS, DD 2.0, etc.). The setup menu is very easy to access and change.

I'm keeping mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I forgot to mention one other thing about the 1815 as a CD changer. In random mode, it will begin to repeat songs before it randomly goes through all of them. My JVC CD changer will go through every song, and then stop once it has played every song on the 5 CDs. The Denon does not. In fact, once it played "Zombie" by the Cranberries, then another song from another CD, then came right back and played Zombie again. That's annoying.

bierboy, do you remember where the layer change was on X2? I want to check that out.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:
do you remember where the layer change was on X2? I want to check that out.
No, I'm sorry I don't. But I remember noticing when it happened. I then "rewound" and played it again to count "one thousand one, one thousand two" and I'm nearly sure it hit the second layer before I began the second "one thousand".

When you say you're disappointed with the layer changes, how long are they taking?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Somewhere between 1-2 seconds. I really hate layer changes. Some people are very discriminating in regard to PQ, but for me layer changes are just as important. Seeing a layer change always distracts me. The JVC I have takes 2 seconds, according to the DVD shootout. The Denon seems to be maybe a tad quicker, but still takes too long for my liking. However, I am not going to fork over $500 for a Denon 2200, which supposedly has a seamless layer change, so I may just have to learn to like it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yeah, I guess they don't bother me that much. And I agree; it's not worth scads more $$ just to ensure a seamless layer change. But I had read the Shootout ratings, knowing the 910 and 1815 are very similar. So I expected sluggish navigation and slow layer changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.