AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done watching "Day After Tommorow" on my Denon 1910 connected via DVI to my Samsung HLP-5085W and I have to say I have never noticed more digital artifacts (and what I suppose is macroblocking) during just about every dark scene than any other DVD I've seen! Sure I've noticed it slightly in other DVD's, but with this particular movie, it seems to be all over the place! Every complaint about the Denon 1910 having a green tint during dark scenes and excessive macroblocking noise is painfully apparent when watching this DVD. (And yes, I've calibrated my system using Avia and Digital Essentials and I'm using the correct black level setting on the Denon) I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing and whether upgrading to the 2910 would significantly reduce all of this. Good thing I only rented the movie, but now I almost feel like buying it just to use as a reference for easy to see artifacts and macroblocking noise. And to think Widescreen Review magazine gave the video quality on this disc their highest rating (5!). Maybe the transfer really is that good, but definitely not on my system!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just got done watching "Day After Tommorow" on my Denon 1910 connected via DVI to my Samsung HLP-5085W and I have to say I have never noticed more digital artifacts (and what I suppose is macroblocking) during just about every dark scene than any other DVD I've seen! Sure I've noticed it slightly in other DVD's, but with this particular movie, it seems to be all over the place!

Are you running the DVD player in 1080i or 720p? I know the macroblocking is more apparent when not using a resolution native to the display, so running 1080i on a 720p DLP set can result in problems. I've noticed some artifacts when running my 1910 in 408p via component to my Infocus 4805 as well.

Every complaint about the Denon 1910 having a green tint during dark scenes and excessive macroblocking noise is painfully apparent when watching this DVD. (And yes, I've calibrated my system using Avia and Digital Essentials and I'm using the correct black level setting on the Denon) I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing and whether upgrading to the 2910 would significantly reduce all of this.

I haven't had any problem with a green tint being displayed. My projector is calibrated to 6500k, and I used Sound and Vision to calibrate Contrast, Black Level, Gamma and Tint. It looks amazing, save for some macroblocking on darker, foggy scenes like the fog scene from The Fifth Element.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DVI output is set to my display's native resolution, 720p. When you say you havent noticed the green tint in dark scenes, are you specifically referring to "Day After Tomorrow" or other DVD's in your collection?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.