AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this receiver because of its networking capabilities but to use solely for music. Didn't realize it offered no analog outputs. I am now struggling with attaching an older analog wireless speaker set to this unit to place in other rooms. Yes, I am familiar with the zone 2 capabilities but not interested in running wires or having to deal with separate controls as each wireless speaker has its own volume controls.

Primarily for better visual menu access, I decided to buy a HDMI to VGA video/Analog audio converter (Sanoxy) to hook up a old VGA monitor I had laying around. I figured this converter would also solve my wireless speaker issue. I connected the converter to the 1912 via the HDMI out (and set the HDMI out to TV). I am getting adequate video but no analog audio (checked the converter analog audio out using several devices that had aux inputs).

So 1) either the converter does not support the conversion of this receiver's HDMI audio component to analog, 2) I have the 1912 HDMI out settings wrong even though I am getting a converted video signal or 3) the converter is bad.

What other options are there for getting an analog audio out feed? Can I use Zone 2 for this? The wireless speaker broadcaster has standard L/R rca input connections and (I think) is expecting a pre-out signal. It looks like the zone 2 connections should be directly to remote speakers. Is that correct?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
90,369 Posts
Welcome to AVS Forum.

The "HDMI Audio Out" feature will only pass HDMI audio inputs and not analog inputs so your only option is to upgrade to a model that either features an analog output (ie. 2312CI or 3312CI) or a Zone 2 pre-out (ie. 2112CI, 2312CI, or 3312CI).

You can compare the features of the various XX12 models in the first few posts of the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite understanding your answer. I realize that the HDMI out sends HDMI audio signals only. Similar to the fact that it also sends HDMI video signals. However, I was able through a HDMI to VGA/analog audio converter run the video out to a VGA monitor and it works fine. This converter also converts HDMI audio to analog. So maybe I bought a cheap converter?

Since I only use the front speakers on this system, another option I was exploring was using a speaker to line out converter on the rear speakers and use the Zone 2 feature. Seems alittle clunky but I think I can get it to work.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Check the 1912 is outputting HDMI audio by connecting it directly to TV. Also TV might have a pair of stereo analogue outputs.

·
Premium Member
90,369 Posts
The HDMI Monitor out jack will only pass audio from devices connected via HDMI, while it will also up convert and pass analog video. If the Sanoxy converter is similar to this Monoprice converter , it can likely only convert stereo PCM 2.0 audio from the source device, so try setting the source device to "stereo" audio. Also note that when you set the "HDMI Audio Out" to "TV", there will be no audio output to the main zone speakers so if your desire is to have audio to the main zone speakers and to the Zone 2 wireless speakers simultaneously, the better option is to upgrade to a higher model AVR as I previously suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts