AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a samsung 55d8000, denon 1912, xbox360, ps3, wii, comcast hd cable box. Is there any point in running hdmi cables from all these components through the denon 1912. Will the denon 1912 do anything to upgrade the video on these or should i just run the hdmi's right to the samsung TV sinse I have 4 hdmi inputs. I am running an optical wire for audio to the denon 1912, so is there any point in running the hdmi's through the receiver before the tv? And also, which is better? coaxial or optical?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazydeazy /forum/post/0

I have a samsung 55d8000, denon 1912, xbox360, ps3, wii, comcast hd cable box. Is there any point in running hdmi cables from all these components through the denon 1912. Will the denon 1912 do anything to upgrade the video on these or should i just run the hdmi's right to the samsung TV sinse I have 4 hdmi inputs. I am running an optical wire for audio to the denon 1912, so is there any point in running the hdmi's through the receiver before the tv? And also, which is better? coaxial or optical?

Hdmi inputed stuff will not matter. But their is no up conversion or upscaling with the 1912. The only device that needs upscaling is the Wii.

HDMI's should all go through the 1912. Buy running all hdmi to the tv and optical to the receiver will only give you stereo from the sources

By setting it up the way you describe you will lose surround sound. TV will not output surround sound from it's optical

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20786366

Hdmi inputed stuff will not matter. But their is no up conversion or upscaling with the 1912. The only device that needs upscaling is the Wii.

HDMI's should all go through the 1912. Buy running all hdmi to the tv and optical to the receiver will only give you stereo from the sources

By setting it up the way you describe you will lose surround sound. TV will not output surround sound from it's optical

If running the optical out from the TV to the receiver will only give you stereo sound, why is there an optical out on the TV? What's the point of having an optical out from the TV?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Read your owners manual on the TV. The very page where it shows you how to connect the Tos-link will tell you in the notes if all "incoming signals" are downgraded to 2.0 PCM.

That is the way 98% of the TV's are.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:

If running the optical out from the TV to the receiver will only give you stereo sound, why is there an optical out on the TV? What's the point of having an optical out from the TV?

It only outputs surround sound when using the tv's built cable/OTA tuner.... meaning cable directly from wall to tv, for people with out cable box.

The xbox, ps3, hd cable box are outputing 1080p signals and the receiver will allow passthrough those signals. To get the best audio you need to run HDMI cables to the receiver. Hdmi cables allows you to get HD audio codecs which you don't get with optical cables or coaxial cables.

The only non- hd device you have is the Wii so means that if you want to up covert that 480p from the Wii hook it up to the TV and then run a separate audio cable from the Wii to receiver

·
Registered
9,164 Posts

Quote:

The digital out from the TV is there for sound acquired by the TV. That includes sound from the set's tuner used with an off air antenna or direct cable feed without a set top box. It also includes streaming sources such as Netflix or Pandora originating in the TV.

If those sources are encoded 5.1, the TV will send them that way. Most TVs will not pass 5.1 from devices attached using HDMI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.