AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a bit confused on the surround sound choices for Bluray content.

If i switch from "dobly truehd" or "dolby trueHD + EX" to say dolby trueHD + PLIIX do i lose the uncompressed audio of trueHD.. what would the difference between +EX and PLIIX be? Isnt PLIIX supposed to be the better choice given a 5.1 original source?

What if the original source is actually a 7.1.. would leaving it on either +EX or PLIIX cause the source to not sound correct and be "processed"? So i'd need to know whether the source was 5.1 or 7.1 each time?

What modes are most people leaving their amp set to?

Thanks for any tips on this..

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Dolby EX would be used with a 6.1 setup while DD PLIIx would be used with a 7.1 setup. If the original source is 7.1 there's nothing to simulate so neither mode would be used, rather the discrete 7.1 signal would play. Generally leaving it in DD PLIIx is what is recommended so 2.0/2.1 and 5.1 sources are simulated to 7.1.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20823966

Dolby EX would be used with a 6.1 setup while DD PLIIx would be used with a 7.1 setup. If the original source is 7.1 there's nothing to simulate so neither mode would be used, rather the discrete 7.1 signal would play. Generally leaving it in DD PLIIx is what is recommended so 2.0/2.1 and 5.1 sources are simulated to 7.1.

Yeah thats where i have it now.. "dolby truehd + PLIIX C" or in the case of regular DD "dolby digital + PLIIX C"

Thanks for the tidbit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.