AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently I've bought a Denon 1912 AVR and a set of 5.1 speakers. It's early days yet and I'm still waiting on cable to wire the speakers to the AVR (maybe this is part of the problem?). What I'm trying to do right now is just to pass audio directly to the TV and not the speakers. This will be handy when people are in bed and I don't want to be making a whole load of noise but I'm not having much luck in getting audio out.

I've set HDMI Audio Out setting to TV and have played around with various control settings but the only way I seem to be able to get audio out is by putting the AVR receiver in standby mode. In which case you can set which input to pass through or have it set to 'last' input. But wouldn't that mean powering up the AVR, switching to the right input and then switching the AVR off again? That's all well and good but what if you'd like to connect an ipod and play music or internet radio without the speakers? Neither of which I've got to output to the TV yet.

I'm probably going about this all wrong since I'm completely new to AVRs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply jdsmoothie.

I've reset the microprocessor.

Now I've noticed that if I set HDMI audio out to TV and HDMI Control to Off. I get my ps3 audio through HDMI 1 OK while the AVR is on. But my iPod audio, connected via front panel usb, still isn't getting through.

And if I set HDMI audio out to TV and HDMI control to On I get no audio from my ps3 while the AVR is on but I do get audio when the AVR is in standby.

Any ideas... ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok.

That's a little disappointing.

So no ipod direct to TV and I'll need the AVR on to watch anything.

Standby pass through is disabled with HDMI Control off

Do you know if there's any quick way to switch between TV speakers and Amp without going through the menu ?

I think I've tried every button on the remote at this stage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way I've been able to get audio with the AVR on is to switch HDMI control off...

Also, changing the master volume on the AVR doesn't seem to affect volume levels at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi jdsmoothie.

I just hooked up a couple of crappy old speakers I had lying around and all became clear (I'm an idiot).

With HDMI control on and the AVR on. Sound goes to the speakers.

With HDMI control on and the AVR off. Sound goes to the TV.

Which is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help and patience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.