AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems the Denon 1920 is getting a lot of good feedback here and its in about the same price range as the Sony 975.

How do these two stack up against each other? (except for the DVD-A part)

·
Registered
15,821 Posts
If you have MB with your display and Faroudja players, then go with the Sony. If you don't have MB, then I'd recommend the Denon since the Faroudja chip is a better deinterlaer than the Sony chip.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
What about the Sony DVP-NS70H ?

That will be out in about another month.

It is upscalling via HDMI and is
12 bit video , standard Sony stuff ., not sure if it will include cable.

No 5.1 on the 70 , but if thats a need , then wait for the 90 ( should follow , but might not be out untill Oct. or...? )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm seeing the DVP-NS90V in stock at FotoConnection. Since I haven't actually tried to order one, I can't say it is true, but I was able to add it to my cart. If it's not available yet, it looks like it will be very soon.

I had the Sony 975 here for a couple weeks and the color output was nasty on my HDTV CRT. This Denon has better color and provides a much cleaner picture. True, I rarely see a bit of macroblocking, but it has only been on older, poorly mastered DVDs (if it's not macroblocking, is just plain crud). A more honest rendering brings out bad things, but I would rather deal with that here and there. It's the best player I've tried (and can afford :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had both the 975 and a Denon 2910. The 2910 gave great pic and sound, but bad MB on my TV. So I sold that and got a 975 again. Now I find I miss the 2910. :) But I don't want to spend that kind of money again and the 1920 seems like a good contender for the 975. Plus it adds DVD-A and Faroudja.

Here we go again. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
wow, this is practically the 2 DVDs I had narowed my choices to... hmmm...

hoping to hear more feedback.

anyone know if the SD/HD color problem will affect my Hitachi 57F520? Is there a way for me to change the settings on my TV to fix it?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... I got the Denon 1920. PQ between the two is mostly comparable, but the edge goes to the Denon 1920 for giving great PQ over a wider range of material. SQ on the Denon 1920 is noticably better than the Sony 975. On a side note, I initially thought that the Denon 2910 was actually worse than the Sony 975, but after going thru all these players I'd give the nod to the 2910 over both of these players. But the price effectively doubles too for the 2910, making the 1920 the best universal at ~$300. I think its the only game in town until the Marantz DV-6600 comes along in November.

Layer change (tested with ID4) was noticeable on both. Almost 2 seconds with the 1920, while the 975 was about a second.

While on the 1920 I can't make up my mind if the component gives a better picture over the HDMI. I seem to find the colors better over HDMI, but picture sharper over component. Needless to say I have to calibrate my TV (again) for a better comparision of component v/s HDMI.

There is one annoying thing with the 1920. It seems to have power on issues depending on how you turn it off. I think its documented on the 1920 thread. Not a deal breaker, but very annoying. If its gonna go in a rack without easy access to the power outlet, you don't want this player.

I think I'll keep the Denon 1920 and send the Sony 975 back.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
SQ on the Denon 1920 is noticably better than the Sony 975.
I assume you are not talking analog out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
I seem to find the colors better over HDMI, but picture sharper over component. Needless to say I have to calibrate my TV (again) for a better comparision of component v/s HDMI.
For now, I'm likely to use the player 480i component to an external scaler. Could you comment on 480i component out? I found the Panny S97 480i a bit more detailed than the 975, but there were some things I liked about the 975 better. I'm eager to know if the Denon is better PQ which is what I really care about (I don't car about DVD-A or SACD at all).

TIA,

Dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
I assume you are not talking analog out.

For now, I'm likely to use the player 480i component to an external scaler. Could you comment on 480i component out? I found the Panny S97 480i a bit more detailed than the 975, but there were some things I liked about the 975 better. I'm eager to know if the Denon is better PQ which is what I really care about (I don't car about DVD-A or SACD at all).

TIA,

Dave
Never had the chance to do a analog out test yet. So yes its for Optical out.

I have a CRT RPTV that I think upscales everything to 1080i, but I'll try out the 480i and let you know what I see.

If you just want better PQ then I suppose the Panasonic S77 (at $250 list) will give you pretty much the same PQ as the 1920 as they both use the same Faroudja processor. Though I'm not sure if the Faroudja processes a 480i output. Maybe 480p and up? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
Never had the chance to do a analog out test yet. So yes its for Optical out.
You had better sound over optical. You should not really hear a difference because it is not processing the bitstream, just converting to optical and sending out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
I have a CRT RPTV that I think upscales everything to 1080i, but I'll try out the 480i and let you know what I see.
My guess is your TV gives you the choice of 480p or 1080i as that is what most CRT RPTVs do. In either case, the scaling of the TV will be a constant. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
If you just want better PQ then I suppose the Panasonic S77 (at $250 list) will give you pretty much the same PQ as the 1920 as they both use the same Faroudja processor. Though I'm not sure if the Faroudja processes a 480i output. Maybe 480p and up? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
480i does not use the Genisis chip. Also, implementations and other components in the signal path effect quality. No all players with the FLI2310 (for instance) perform exactly the same.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.