AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AVR 5700. I think is finally giving up. My center channel is very muffled and the rears are unbalanced. I’ve tried the test tone and swapped speakers to be sure not a speaker issue but the right rear is a lot fainter then the left.
Would be great to upgrade to something with HDMI which the old 5700 doesn’t have. Trying to decide on what the best direction to go is The issue. I’ve been very happy with Denon but local shop really pushed Yamaha.
Just looking for anyone’s input/thought when comparing the 2 in something Equidistant to the 5700’s power range that I believe is around 130-140 watts/channel. Thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Brett the new 2020 Denon/Marantz models just came out if you want something brand new? Top of the line (130 wpc+) to match the old 5700 beast is denon x8500, Denon x6700 and marantz sr8015 I believe.

Yamaha is well known for reliability. They have new 2020 models coming out as well, if you can't wait then their current top of the line model is the rx-a3080.

I own nothing high end, but maybe answer a few ?? and the members can make specific recommendations based on your needs.

1. budget

2. How many channels do you need?

3. is this for HT or music or both?
4. What speakers do you have?
5. size of your room?

Good luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
HDMI is pretty much a given with modern receivers, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Power may or may not be the best attribute to rate an AV Receiver, but if that's your focus, the AVR-5700 had a lot of power by today's standards.
http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr5700_ownersmanual.pdf
The specs for the amp are on page 62 of the manual.
Rated output: Stereo (2ch driven)
140 W + 140 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz with 0.05% T.H.D.)
170 W + 170 W (8 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7% T.H.D.)

Based on power alone, the equivalent models today would be the newly released Denon AVR-X6700H, and the 2018 model year Yamaha RX-A2080 and RX-A3080 (or the RX-V equivalents).
Yamaha seems to have earned a reputation for reliability that exceeds other brands. Denon seems to have a good reputation, but not as high as Yamaha's.
Denon seems to consistently deliver the most current features in the market at a lower price point, at least compared to Yamaha.
Marantz shares a significant amount of design with Denon, and some models seem to be functionally identical. Marantz will shortly release the SR8015, a model similar to the Denon AVR-X6700H.
The newly released Denon AVR-X4700H comes close to your target power range at 125W. Marantz will soon release the similar SR7015.

Additionally, prior year models of Denons may still be available. The AVR-X6500H, AVR-X4500H, SR7013 and SR8012 are direct predecessors of the new models. Denon also had the even higher-end AVR-X8500H with 150W.
If they're available, there's some small savings to be had, but since Denon held the prices relatively stable, it's probably worth getting the newest models and getting the latest features at this price point.

These are all at or near the top of the companies' respective product lineups, which may be what you're looking for, but the feature set at the top of the line is much more than what was available when the AVR-5700 was released.
These newest Denon/Marantz models can play back 8K HDR encrypted video, and support the higher ends of immersive 3D audio with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X with support of up to 13 sound channels as opposed to the 5 or 7 that the AVR-5700 supports.
The earlier Denon, Marantz and Yamaha models offer similar capabilities, but "only" play 4K HDR encrypted video. In theory, the Denon AVR-X8500H is eligible for an upgrade that brings it to current technology with the 2020 models, at least for 8K video.

If you're not considering upgrading to immersive audio, you might consider a lower-powered receiver with analog preouts, and using an external amplifier to get to your desired power levels.
That would means an extra device, and the combined costs would likely put it at or above the higher featured models mentioned before.

My AVR 5700. I think is finally giving up. My center channel is very muffled and the rears are unbalanced. I’ve tried the test tone and swapped speakers to be sure not a speaker issue but the right rear is a lot fainter then the left.
Would be great to upgrade to something with HDMI which the old 5700 doesn’t have. Trying to decide on what the best direction to go is The issue. I’ve been very happy with Denon but local shop really pushed Yamaha.
Just looking for anyone’s input/thought when comparing the 2 in something Equidistant to the 5700’s power range that I believe is around 130-140 watts/channel. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brett the new 2020 Denon/Marantz models just came out if you want something brand new? Top of the line (130 wpc+) to match the old 5700 beast is denon x8500, Denon x6700 and marantz sr8015 I believe.

Yamaha is well known for reliability. They have new 2020 models coming out as well, if you can't wait then their current top of the line model is the rx-a3080.

I own nothing high end, but maybe answer a few ?? and the members can make specific recommendations based on your needs.

1. budget

2. How many channels do you need?

3. is this for HT or music or both?
4. What speakers do you have?
5. size of your room?

Good luck!

Only TV don't really listen to music at all on it unless its in the movie. I only have 5speakers and a Velodyne sub. The speakers are all PolkAudio and not sure the models but newer than the 5700.
It's a dedicated Theater room with 110" screen and infocus projector.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info. Thanks

HDMI is pretty much a given with modern receivers, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Power may or may not be the best attribute to rate an AV Receiver, but if that's your focus, the AVR-5700 had a lot of power by today's standards.
http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr5700_ownersmanual.pdf
The specs for the amp are on page 62 of the manual.
Rated output: Stereo (2ch driven)
140 W + 140 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz with 0.05% T.H.D.)
170 W + 170 W (8 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7% T.H.D.)

Based on power alone, the equivalent models today would be the newly released Denon AVR-X6700H, and the 2018 model year Yamaha RX-A2080 and RX-A3080 (or the RX-V equivalents).
Yamaha seems to have earned a reputation for reliability that exceeds other brands. Denon seems to have a good reputation, but not as high as Yamaha's.
Denon seems to consistently deliver the most current features in the market at a lower price point, at least compared to Yamaha.
Marantz shares a significant amount of design with Denon, and some models seem to be functionally identical. Marantz will shortly release the SR8015, a model similar to the Denon AVR-X6700H.
The newly released Denon AVR-X4700H comes close to your target power range at 125W. Marantz will soon release the similar SR7015.

Additionally, prior year models of Denons may still be available. The AVR-X6500H, AVR-X4500H, SR7013 and SR8012 are direct predecessors of the new models. Denon also had the even higher-end AVR-X8500H with 150W.
If they're available, there's some small savings to be had, but since Denon held the prices relatively stable, it's probably worth getting the newest models and getting the latest features at this price point.

These are all at or near the top of the companies' respective product lineups, which may be what you're looking for, but the feature set at the top of the line is much more than what was available when the AVR-5700 was released.
These newest Denon/Marantz models can play back 8K HDR encrypted video, and support the higher ends of immersive 3D audio with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X with support of up to 13 sound channels as opposed to the 5 or 7 that the AVR-5700 supports.
The earlier Denon, Marantz and Yamaha models offer similar capabilities, but "only" play 4K HDR encrypted video. In theory, the Denon AVR-X8500H is eligible for an upgrade that brings it to current technology with the 2020 models, at least for 8K video.

If you're not considering upgrading to immersive audio, you might consider a lower-powered receiver with analog preouts, and using an external amplifier to get to your desired power levels.
That would means an extra device, and the combined costs would likely put it at or above the higher featured models mentioned before.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Note that the amp section in the upcoming Marantz 8015 is superior to that of the Denon 6700's owed to the former's toroidal transformer.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Isn’t that going to be A $3000+ receiver? I’m thinking of something in the 18-2200 range at most.
I was mostly correcting the mis-statement about the respective levels of these receivers. You can certainly get a great product in your budget range!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking between the Denon AVR-4700H or the YamahaA2080 or just holding out for the new Yamahas to be released.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts