AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Well, I have a question. My Denon 2112 is in my Den, with a Def Tech Pro Center 1000, two Pro Monitor 1000s and one Pro Sub 1000. Everything sounds great. I usually listen to music by running Pandora on my iphone which is playing through my appletv, which is plugged into the Denon.

I just put two speakers on my patio and ran the wires into the house and plugged into the back of the Denon. They are wired into the L/R Surround ports (I would have plugged them into Zone 2, but that would require them to be RCAs). Anyhow, I need to be able to play the pandora to appletv music and hear them on the speakers that are wired into the L/R Surround. So, I could listen to music on my patio. I know you can do this, I read it on here. I just do not know how to do it. I don't care if the music playing on the patio speakers also plays inside (which I can currently do by putting the setting on multi channel stereo) but it is annoying when I watch a movie and my neighbors can hear the movie from the patio!!

Help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Based on that site, I will have to change the patio wires from the L/R Surround to the Surr Back/Amp Assign hookup. However, based on what Batpig said, I will not be able to use the digital audio from the HDMI cable bringing in the apple tv sound (where I am using Pandora) in Zone 2. What should I do? The Denon is not networked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Denon is quite far from the router, and I don't want to connect it via wifi.

I guess I could connect the Denon via a powerline adaptor (data over power cables) - then I could use the embedded pandora app, right? Is there no other solution?

·
Premium Member
92,610 Posts
If you don't use the STEREO mode in the main zone, then you could connect the patio speakers to the Surround Back speaker posts and set AMP ASSIGN to FRONT B and then set the Front Speaker Setup (p. 88 OM) STEREO mode to FRONT B. Then when you select STEREO mode, only the patio speakers would play any audio source (HDMI or otherwise) selected in the main zone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - sounds complicated, put a possible solution. In that method, would all sound only be coming from the four speakers in the Den (on all movie and music selections, like Pro Cinema, Multi Channel Stereo, etc), and sound would only come out of the patio speakers when plain old Stereo is selected?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I tried JD's solution. I put the patio speakers on the Surround Back posts, Set AMP ASSIGN to FRONT B and put STERIO to FRONT B in Front Speaker Speaker Setup. It seems to work, except for one huge issue: I am only hearing my subwoofer when STEREO is selected (when the outside patio speakers are playing)! So when I am watching a movie or listening to music in my house (when using Multi Channel Stereo, Pro Cinema, etc) I don't hear my subwoofer! How can I fix this, because otherwise this solution seems to work!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JD. Thank you for the reply. In System Setup - Speaker Setup - Audio Setup - 2chDirect/Stereo - Setting, I changed Setting to Custom, and Subwoofer to No. That did take care of the sound of the subwoofer being present while listening to the patio speakers on STEREO. But note that if Front is set to Small in this menu as you requested, Subwoofer automatically turns back to Yes. Accordingly, if I set Subwoofer to No, Front automatically turns to Large. P. 90 of the OM said you cant have both Front be Small and Subwoofer be No. So now, in that menu Setting is Custom, Front is Large and Subwoofer is No. Any thoughts?

Also, I am not sure where the "Manual Setup" menu is to enter in the 80hz. I do see on the same menu I discuss above that if subwoofer is set to yes (but it is currently set to no), crossover appears where can I enter the 80hz. I have not done this.

So now that we solved the issue with the subwoofer being present when STEREO is selected, I am still noticing that the subwoofer is quiet compared to its normal operation. Could the subwoofer somehow become more quiet by my having taken the following steps we discussed: 1) Turning on Amp Assign to Front B; (2) changing Front Sp Setup for 2ch DIRECT/STEREO to B; and (3) turning Subwoofer to No in the System Setup - Speaker Setup - Audio Setup - 2chDirect/Stereo menu. Along that line, could any of the above steps have in any way altered the sound of my inside speakers (Pro Sub 1000, a Pro Center 1000 and two Pro Monitor 1000's) while listening to non-STEREO modes? Note that in Speaker Setup - Speaker Config, Front is set to Small, Center is set to Small and Subwoofer is set to Yes.

Thank you for all of your help!

·
Premium Member
92,610 Posts
You misunderstood me. The 2CH STEREO/DIRECT menu would only apply to the Front B speakers (in your use case) so if the sub is OFF the Front B speakers will be LARGE. I was referring to backing out of that menu and going to Manual Setup to ensure the Front A speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz. The 80Hz refers to the crossover setting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it. So, let me double check everything with you:

(1) In System Setup - Audio Setup - 2chDirect/Stereo - Setting - I changed Setting to Custom, and Subwoofer to No (Front remains Large).

(2) In System Setup - Speaker Setup - Amp Assign - I turned on Amp Assign to Front B (was Front A);

(3) In System Setup - Speaker Setup - Front Sp Setup - I changed 2chDIRECT/STEREO from A to B, but left MULTI CH on A

(4) In System Setup - Speaker Setup - Speaker Config. - I made it now say Front: Small, Center: Small, Subwoofer: Yes, Surround: None.

(5) In System Setup - Speaker Setup - Crossover Freq. - it was on Advanced/Front: 90Hz/Center:80 Hz - I changed it to simply 80hz

Did I make the proper changes? It appears everything is working now! Fweew!

Thanks JD!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so in System Setup - Speaker Setup - Crossover Freq. - it was originally on Advanced/Front: 90Hz/Center:80 Hz - I changed it to simply 80hz, and now I am changing it to simply 90Hz? My only options are choosing, simply, one number (crossover: 40hz through 250 hz) - or, when it is on advanced, I can have a hz for the front and a hz for the center. ButI should not select advanced, and have it simply on 90hz (so no individual hz numbers for the center and front). correct?

What about the setting you wanted me to change to 80hz in your post above?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Considering my speaker make-up (Pro Center 1000, Pro Sub 1000, Pro Monitor 1000 x2) with no rear or surround (except for the patio speakers), which setting would you suggest? When you say "FL/FR" I am not certain I understand what you are referring to.

Would you select in: Speaker Setup - Crossover Frequency:

Crossover: 90hz

or

Crossover: Advanced

Front: 90hz

Center: 80hz

Is there another crossover setting you are referencing that I am not aware of?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so in Speaker Setup - Crossover Frequency, I will leave it on the Advanced: Front: 90hz, Center: 80hz.

With respect to the FL/FR - I see what that stands for, but is there another setup menu where I can adjust the frequency besides the one I just changed above?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts