AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely hopeless and need to reach out to the community for help. I've narrowed my search down to the above mentioned products. I can certainly afford any of these AVRs, but would the extra $80 spent or $130 on the Onkyo's over the Denon be better spent on speakers?

I'm currently using a relatively dated set of Bose speakers and am interested in replacing them. By spending the extra $$$ now I'd have to postpone a speaker purchase. Worth it?

I've come across a lot of comparisons for these products, but people seem to get off track saying the 2312ci or 3312ci are the ones that should be being compared.

I'm very much interested in a comparison of build quality, defective product percentages etc. as I'm under the impression both have more options and features than I'll know what to do with. Is this wrong?

Setup: Samsung PN51D8000 plasma, Charter HD STB, APC H15 Line Conditioner, PS3 for 3D, Xbox 360 and Wii. I obviously don't like cheaping out when it comes to electronics, and I don't want to think the 2112ci is the worse option based on price alone. Rather, it happens to be an extremely good deal.

Also, how do the Onkyo's handle wireless music streaming. I understand they don't have airplay, but I've been reading mixed reviews as to whether itunes can stream using alternate resources.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Depending on which Bose speakers you have - and what you are driving them with it may be a better choice to upgrade your speakers first. You'll get much more out of speaker upgrades than in electronics as a general rule.

There seems to be no published numbers on failure rates for modern consumer electronics. Sony is the largest manufacturer of home audio electronics. They don't have a large following here although their ES series seems to be very good. Onkyo gets lots of bad press and much of that is due to market share - they sell more than Denon or Yamaha - although that may change. As for 'which is best' its an open question and one that can't be answered except in terms of personal experience (owning said product) or by observation (reading these forums) to form a conclusion.

My best answer for what you should buy is to look at the features for what you need - ask questions if you don't know what a feature does or how it operates then narrow it down to two and flip a coin.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Some of the older Bose speakers are not that bad but not sure which ones you have. I would probably go with speakers first. A cheap little 100$ avr can make good speakers sound good at moderate volume but a $3000 receiver cant make sorry speakers sound good. Not saying you have sorry speakers as I don't know which Bose you have. If you get a receiver first, I would get the cheapest receiver you can that has the features your want and put the rest toward the speakers. If you can swing the Denon 2112 and a nice set of front speakers, you could use the Bose for surrounds and run a phantom center until you can buy the matching center. I started off with some Paradigms and ran them off a Denon 1508 that I picked up for 75$ and the sound was fantastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knucklehead: So how about my airplay/onkyo music streaming question? Do both onkyos upscale and preamp? how about the denon? If I am using component cables from the wii, will I also have to have a component output to the tv? Any other stand out features you feel are worth mentioning which separate the two, please do.

MJPearce: My old receiver and sub are waterlogged thanks to a flood, so the receiver has to be the next purchase. Simply so I can use the bose which I already have. I don't want to get a cheapo then have to upgrade in a year or two. I was planning on slowly replacing the bose like you recommend. After the receiver purcahse, I'll be purchasing two floorstanding speakers and a sub (but that's a different thread).

Thanks for the help guys. Any and all input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well the big things you lose going with the 2112 are pre amp outputs and Dolby Volume. You need to know what speakers you are going to get to know if you might need an amp. Also the room size will have an effect on how much power you will need. Dolby volume is a different version of dynamic volume. Some people like it better so that might be a feature you want. I recently heard that when you turn on Dolby Volume it turns off Audyssey so that would be a drawback for me if that's the case. I just heard that from someone here and I have not looked at the owners manual yet to confirm. Those are the main advantages I saw with the 709 but there may be some others. If you think those features are worth the extra money then go for the 709.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.