Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I need some urgent advice about purchasing a new DVD player. My attention has focused onto two models: a Denon 2200 and a Sony NV930.

I've been reading reviews and forums about these two models and both have received good comments. To my surprise it seems like the 2200 is very similar to its big bro, the 2900.

I have found the Denon 2200 at a fairly good price here in Europe so I have ordered it at an online store. I saved some 300 Euro from the catalog price here in Italy!!!

I have read though a test of the Denon 2200 revealing some slight "problem" with Chroma Upsampling.

I don't understand so much about these things but it seems as though this doesn't affect the quality of the machine so much and that it is not so noticeable! The fact is that I am gonna use this DVD player with a Panny AE300 Projector and with Progressive Pal DVD's on a big screen so it seems as if this problem might get more noticeable on large screens.

I would like to have an advice from you though since I really don't know anymore whether to cancel my order and go for the Sony or not!

Any prompt help from you or even better from who owns the Denon 2200 already would be really appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think that the chromo issues that affect the 2200 are minor and are not the same as the CUE or "Chroma Bug" issue. Many people are very happy with the 2200's performance, with some actually preferring it to the more expensive 2900.

Most of the complaints I've seen come from people who feel that the image is a bit soft and not quite as sharp as that of some other high end DVD players.

-Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Steve,

thank you very much for your reply!

So you think I was right to prefer the Denon 2200 over the Sony 930?

It's reassuring knowing the problem of the 2200 wouldn't be noticeable!

Do you happen to know where I could read some review on the Denon 2200??

Thanks again!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
63 Posts
A review can be found (in german) on www.cine4home.de

The 2200 and the 2900 have similar videoparts. The danish www.dvd-a.dk have a review of the 2900 (written in english) with comparisons pictures of the 2900 and a htpc. There is a few pictures of the CUE and a explaination too.

A have ordered the 2200 from hificomponents in Germany (599 €) and im waiting with great expectations.

I'm too going to use it with an AE300 - I guess we have the same destiny ;)

Where did you order your 2200?

Best regards

·
Registered
63 Posts
From the DVD-A review....

"Denon DVD-2900 will not handle the 3:2 alternating progressive flag correctly. The error is not very visible and the camera is having a hard time capturing it, but both the edges around the headlights and the edge of the car is jagged in the above example."

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello!

Thank you very very much for that link you've posted!!!

Even if the review is about the 2900 seems like the 2200 is the same piece of hardware just with some differences regarding build quality and DAC quality which frankly I don't care much for!

From this review it seems like the fault is not an issue at all and plus they were talking about Monsters Inc NTSC DVD showing this problem. Living in Europe and using PAL dvd's there's really no need to worry then!! Pheeeeww!!!

Seems like the video quality is excellent anyway and this makes me really glad for my choice over the Sony NV930.

As for where I've got the Denon 2200, I've got it at mediacheckpoint, a German shop. Here in Italy the 2200 was 300 Euro more!!!!!

I'm glad that you have a Panny AE-300 too!! Since you have the same projector I have, I would like to ask you a question about it, even if this is OT. Have you notice the prob with the AE-300 when you test it with colour bands!?! Between the Cyan and Yellow bands you can see a green line.

This problem is noticeable also in films when there are ppl against a blue sky or ppl in a swimming pool! Other ppl that have the AE300 have this prob too and by contacting Panasonic their answer is that it's not a prob at all! It's quite annoying though once you notice it for the first time! A progressive scan DVD player seems to solve this problem!

Just wondering if you've noticed the same prob too with that vpj.

Let's keep in touch when we'll get the 2200 to share comments on it!

Take care and thanks again!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't say that i have noticed those green lines but i have only used my PJ with progressiv players, so that might be the reason.

Are you satisfied with the black level or do you use some kind of filter og gray screen?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again!

Yes i'm quite satisfied with the black level now considering before i had a Panny AE100. Still it's not as black as a DLP proj but I suffer from rainbow effect and so I had to go for the lcd proj.

I don't use any filter...I tried the Hoya fl-day filter i had on my panny 100 but on the 300 it was useless. Some ppl use the ND-2 but it doesn't seem like it changes so much! Apart from this i'm very satisfied with the AE300.

Please let me know when you get the Denon 2200!!!! I should get mine next Tuesday!

Take care

Fingolfin

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Living in Europe and using PAL dvd's there's really no need to worry then!!
Actually the problem is much larger in Europe. PAL DVDs are encoded as video 99.999999% of the time and they all suffer from ICP.

it is funny Star Wars and Matrix are encoded as video, yet 28 Days Later is encoded as film. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
UK & european versions of the Sony DVP-NS730, DVP-NS930 and DVP-NS999ES all deinterlace PAL films by weaving the fields together when nessisary (2:2 pull down/film mode), so there's no excuse why Denon can't do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I spoke with DenonJeff yesterday and asked him if the CUE problems in the 2900 had been addressed in the 2200 and he said yes. So, I'm assuming that the 2200 doesn't suffer from the chroma problems that the 2900 does (that were detailed in the secret's tests) but I haven't seen any definitive tests that ensure this; just the information I got from DenonJeff (who is a very reliable Denon representative).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zoro
How does that compare with 2200? thats why..LOL
I don't think it would be fair to compare those players. The EU version of the 1400 doesn't have progressive scan and the audio circuts are poor

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lone_gun_gnome
I spoke with DenonJeff yesterday and asked him if the CUE problems in the 2900 had been addressed in the 2200 and he said yes. So, I'm assuming that the 2200 doesn't suffer from the chroma problems that the 2900 does (that were detailed in the secret's tests) but I haven't seen any definitive tests that ensure this; just the information I got from DenonJeff (who is a very reliable Denon representative).
The german review says that the 2200 has CUE, but only in PAL alternative flagged.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys! I've just got the Denon DVD-2200!!!

Delivered today as promised by the shop!

Perfect german reliability as always!

I haven't had time to "play" with it so I still can't say

much!

I'll have some time tomorrow so if you are interested

i can open a new thread with a review on it!

See you soon!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lone_gun_gnome
Just to clarify - you asked him in the Special guest forum "1. Does the DVD-2200 suffer from the CUE that the 2900 did?" And Jeff said "Yes" - so it does have the same Chroma issue as the 2900. Since I do have quite a number of PAL-DVDs and as Stacey has pointed out it's a far more common issue with PAL-DVDs I won't buy a 2200 and wait for the Euopean version of the 5900 (DVD-A11 over here). I hope this one will finally get it right

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.