AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my rear deck install using zone 2 of the 2312:

Quick question. I noticed volume with not increase over -10.0 db yet zone 1 will. I checked the speaker rating and the AW5500's are 8 ohm 175 watts, while my reciever is only putting out 105 per channel, why will the reciever limit the volume to my zone 2 speakers.

And some thoughts: These speakers are great, a sub would be nice, but even the way they are, they sound excellent for outdoor speakers. I used airplay as a source, but it would be nice if I could run a different source in zone 1 at the same time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i use volume control on the iphone, for instance, that controls zone 1. The denon app will control either but zone 2 will not increase beyond -10db.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try [system setup].............then..........[Zone 2 setup]...........then........[volume limit]...........then change default of -10 to "off"

For your reference this is on page 112 of denon manual.

Good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there was a limit on at -10db, I turned it off but haven't yet played loud.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1415966/denon-2312-zone-2#post_22237325

You're better served setting the Volume Limit setting on both the Main Zone and Zone 2 to "0db" to prevent someone from accidently turning the volume up too loud.

The speakers out rate the wattage put out by the reciever, this is something i never understood. In my car i could always go max volume because i made sure I had speakers capable of handling the amp output. What is too loud? Or does the reciever get crappy at a certain level?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turned it up and it started clipping at anything higher than -7.0

I still don't get it if the speakers can handle the output, why the reciever gives up before max volume is reached.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1415966/denon-2312-zone-2#post_22263464

If your speakers are clipping, the AVR is putting out far more than just 105W. Set the AVR back to the "Volume Limit" setting of -10db.

Excuse my ignorance, but the receiver is rated at 105w. How can it put out any more than that?

I'm going to set it to -7db as it sounds great there and nice and loud.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1415966/denon-2312-zone-2#post_22265424

The AVR is rated at 105W into 8-ohms at 0.08% THD. It will put out far higher wattage than that at a higher THD when clipping occurs. This is why it's far more dangerous to use an under powered amp than one that is more powerful as the under powered amp will clip much sooner.

It just confuses me because up until now i never listened to music in my home, spent all my money on systems for my cars. With my cars i could use the entire volume range with no clipping, maybe just a little distortion. So it's totally new to me to hear this.

·
8 Posts
I have a problem I think is related to this. I posted in another forum my own problem but I think this could be it. My source volume (music files) is from airtunes/analog and is set quite low and my receiver volume is almost maxed. Would this cause a increase in noise or clipping as you say? I get pops and chirps in my tweeter when I play classical music. I have two Aperion Versus Grand bookshelf speakers and two B&W CM4 towers. I use a Denon 2312CI. Also is their a problem if you mix speakers with different impedence? The Aperion's are 6 ohm and the B&Ws are 8 ohm.

·
Premium Member
90,369 Posts
Try the reverse ... ie. maxing the volume on the music source and decreasing the AVR volume. Also, no worries with mixing 6-ohm speakers with 8-ohm speakers as the AVR is designed to power 6-16ohm speakers.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owners linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for more helpful information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts