AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides general build quality, are there any other qualitative I mean quantitative features of the 2500 over the BD30 that justify the $500 price difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrance /forum/post/12949574

Besides general build quality, are there any other qualitative features of the 2500 over the BD30 that justify the $500 price difference? Thanks.

I think you mean "quantitative" (attributes which can be measured) not "qualitative" (attributes which describe but can't be measured).

The Denon and Panasonic's Qualitative attributes vary (build quality, materials used, feel, asthetics, brand name.

Right now the quantitative attributes are the same (even have the same bug
). There has been no measured difference is playback on the Denon vs Panny.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
It's pretty much the same thing in a different chasis, though a few parts might be different.But for twice the money? Denon has done this before, but not at this price range.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
From the A/B comparisons I've read they are pretty much the same internally and in their final output, the Denon just has a fancier chassis & name (and less outputs, surprisingly).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps /forum/post/12951337

I think you mean "quantitative" (attributes which can be measured) not "qualitative" (attributes which describe but can't be measured).

The Denon and Panasonic's Qualitative attributes vary (build quality, materials used, feel, asthetics, brand name.

Right now the quantitative attributes are the same (even have the same bug
). There has been no measured difference is playback on the Denon vs Panny.

You are correct. I edited the post.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. It was speculated that 2500BTCI _may have a easier workaround for the LFE volume issue. Information for BD30 fix has been lacking.

2. From what I understand from oversea forums, BD30 can be made region free (for SD-DVD) via a special remote code sequence.

I doubt the same remote code will work for 2500BTCI. Then again one day someone may be able to mod the Denon firmware, so who knows

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge /forum/post/12954634

I'll be curious how Denon deals with firmware updates. Hopefully they will be better at supporting their product than Samsung.

Why wouldn't they be? Denon has a pretty good record in that regard.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz /forum/post/13008184

1. It was speculated that 2500BTCI _may have a easier workaround for the LFE volume issue. Information for BD30 fix has been lacking.

2. From what I understand from oversea forums, BD30 can be made region free (for SD-DVD) via a special remote code sequence.

I doubt the same remote code will work for 2500BTCI. Then again one day someone may be able to mod the Denon firmware, so who knows

Can you provide a link or the code sequence?

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi /forum/post/13008595

Can you provide a link or the code sequence?

Yeah, and can it read PAL?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The denon can be rs-232 controlled, the panny no. Unless there is a way via IP.

The Silver Denon is $2,021 imported from Japan.That would be 4 times the premium.

·
Premium Member
24,041 Posts
Since 1080p/24 is near its pinnacle in pic Q I am very hard pressed to justify any next gen player that costs more than 600 these days. The Panny 30K and HD805 units look great going thru my crystalio II... And with having my receiver do the audio there really is no need to spend 1,000 on a player these days.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
*Puts on flame suit*

The internals of the Denon are entirely different to the Panasonic. One panasonic chip is shared but the PCB, layout and other compoonents are completely different.

Quantitively the better PS section and possibly cleaner PCB of the Denon could reduce noise and jitter on the HDMI output. Would need someone with both players and suitable test equipment to confirm this.

·
Premium Member
24,041 Posts
I usually would jump at the chance but my instinct says I would be right. I don't care about the build of a player anymore. Maybe back in 2003 I did but these days as long as the picture Q is nearly identical that is all that matters... Whether a unit weighs 10 pounds or 20 pounds does not mean anything if they look the same at 1080p/24... And since its been mentioned the 3800 will have the same Blu ray 1080p/24 pic as the 2500 the debate will continue...

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Not if the LFE bug is not corrected in the 2500 while the 3800 is fine.. Then, I'd take the BD-30 for less dough...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: bd30 region free

I don't have 1st hand confirmation of this on BD30,

but I think it was the region free IR sequence that worked on several panny sd-dvd players and dvd-recorders.

You know, the one that made the UK store selling chipped remote famous

I have no info on pal compatibility, but if the hardware ain't there, the chances are slim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts