AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on going to a separate amp. I decided to give it a shot and I ran into a bump. I'm trying to hook up a Denon 2803 to a QSC GX3 pro amp using RCA cables and I get nothing when selecting my DVD as the source. DVD player is connected to receiver with coaxial. But interestingly the amp works if select my TV as the source, which is connected using just RCA cables. Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Oh one more thing, the QSC GX3 has a loud hiss even with the gain set to 18. Is that because the amp has too much distortion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me rephrase that. There's a loud hiss and it only gets louder as i turn up the gain. Actually there's a hiss or humm when i turn the receiver volume completel off as well. The only time the noise is gone is when the amp is set to 0.

Can anybody shed some light on why the amp can't sense a signal when I'm using my DVD through coax but it'll work with standard RCA cables?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I'm an idiot. my dvd source wasn't working because the title screen of lord of the rings is just silent. Now that problem is solved....I figured out something about the noise. I can only hear the noise when I have a RCA cable connected from my receiver to the amp. The noise will manifest on speakers hooked up to the receiver and the amp. What can i do to get rid of the buzzing noise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it's a buzz. I did some more searching and reading and I believe I may have a ground loop problem. Can anybody suggest a good ground loop isolator that won't mess with the sound signal? I'm trying to use the pro amp to drive a pair of full range Polk Monitor 60.

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
You are using the RCA from your receiver to the QSC? and have a buzz noise weird usually people have problem going from RCA unbalanced to balanced XLR , first i would try to isolate the buzz, unplug all equipments , just the speakers hooked to the amp first, then just the RCA cable to the amp,then the other end of cable to your receiver then plug one by one all your equipment till the buzz start, for me the buzz was from my TV when hooked to the cable that was giving me trouble. So if you really have a ground loop problem ART is makes a shift box called cleanbox, Rolls makes one as well that should take care of a ground loop.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=322698

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After much reading on troubleshooting Ground loops, I decided to give disconnecting my cable TV feed and guess what? It worked. No more Loud "BUZZZZZZZZZ"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts