AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a new receiver. This will be used mainly as a HT setup but occasionally for music/stereo.

Like most folks I have been looking at the mid-range AV receivers and have narrowed it down to a couple of Denon models. Also looked at HK and Onkyo.

First question: Is the Denon 3803 worth the extra $$ over the 2803. I realize the 3803 has some extra power but the big improvement (or at least the one the sales folks like to mention the most) is the fact that the 3803 offer the ability to do video conversion.

How much of a difference does that make? My current TV only offers s-video and only my DVD player offers component. What are the + & - of this feature.

Can the 3803 switch from component down to s-video?

Under what video modes do you lose the OSD? (I read in one review that the video switching can effect the OSD).

Also, how do they compare sound wise? I have only had the opportunity to sample the 3803.

My current speaker setup is:

Definitive Technology BP8 Front Speakers

Definitive Technology Center

B&W DM 601 S3 Rear

Any other advice or comments appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about this as I don't own a 3803. But I don't "think" that the 3803 can switch from component down to s-video. And that it can only go up to component from other sources, and not down from it to lower sources. But someone who has one, should be able to prove me either right or wrong on this.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Correct, the 3803 cannot "downconvert" the video, only upwards. It's really only a cabling/switching feature, allows a single connection to your display. The s-video is still going through the same resolution, it's not "upconverted" to 720/1080.

You lose partial functionality on the OSD when the component connection is used. You can still run the OSD setup stuff, but you don't get the OSD feedback for contol changes, i.e. you don't see the volume up/down displayed, etc.

I've been happy with my 3803, it's a solid product IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.