AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy this for a home theater. Primary use will be to watch Front Projector (DVD & Satellite TV). This is a new product. Any opinions on this? Are there better sub-$1000 Surround Sound Receivers out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got the 2803 a few weeks ago from some distributor in NY for ~$650. It was just in stock. So I bought it sound unheard mainly on the recommendation of a friend and on the Denon name. The price seemed good, so I went for it...

Haven't been disappointed one bit! I can't really compare it to other products out there. But once I watched Fellowship of the Rings in dts and watched a Steely Dan DVD in dts, I was hooked! I use it mostly to watch HDTV and DVDs (movies and concerts). I occasionally listen to CDs. I think it sounds great with both movies and music. The only thing I didn't like was the manual -- it was a little confusing. But once I got everything set up, I was very happy. I think it's a great deal...

Rich

·
Registered
303 Posts
You should be able to get the 3803 for your $1000 budget. I have been very impressed with my 3803. For the $828 I paid for it, I can't imagine a better product. Both the 2803 and the 3803 offer an incredible amount of processing for the money. The few extras the 3803 adds, made it a great option to use as a pre/pro once I can save up the money for a dedicated amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2803, and I am very happy with it. I truly feel that it is the best receiver in the $800 and under price range. I have auditioned a 3803, which is also an excellent receiver, but the 2803 can definitely hold it's own. The 3803 does have a better remote.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you guys buying these receivers from authorized dealers? The prices quoted on this forum are nice. But I thought Denon won't honor the warranty if the receiver isn't purchased from an authorized dealer. And all authorized dealers I checked sell them at MSRP.

The 3803 might be an overkill for my needs as the room is 12 x 14 and I am going to use the receiver for a small home theater and hook it up to a fron projector. I need to do video switching between different sources such as satellite tv, cable, DVD palyer and VCR.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I purchased mine for under $1000 authorized, and then used the AMEX BVG program to get it down to $828 through another vendor. The BVG program will be significantly changed MAY 1.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's the program where you get the difference if you find a lower price after you buy a unit using your Amex card? Who exactly pays the difference, American Express? If so, they must be takng a beating on that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, yes and YES! That's why it is going to change significantly MAY 1. In fact, Amex Blue dropped it long ago, and cards like mine through the OPEN small business network will not have it either. I've cashed in for about $750-800, and I will be doing it for another $50-$100 probably next week.

As of May 1, Amex cards will either not be able to BVG Internet sites, or they will drop the BVG all together. My card won't be eligable at all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've heard about a similar program elsewhere, but nothing comes close to the BVG program from Amex. Only certain Amex cards offer the deal now. Most have an annual fee. I just started using this at the very end of last year. I will miss it, but there is always another way to get a deal.

As far as feeling guilty...Why? It's their policy. You submit your receipt and information on your purchase. You tell them where it's cheaper. You send in the paper work. Up to 2 weeks later, pull the check/checks out of the mail box. They do have exclusions, but electronics are about the best thing to use it on. You need only have a card that has the BVG program, make the purchase BEFORE May 1, be in good standing on your account, tell them about the claim within 60 days, and send in the paper work within 90 days. It's good for up to $250 per item and $1000 total per year.

Disclaimer: check your card to see if your policy is the same as mine, and for more details. I could also be mistaken in the picky details because I am doing it from memory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.