AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum so Hi to everyone! :)

I'm thinking of upgrading my HiFi system in SQ and to HT use...

What do you guys think of these two receivers in sound quality both as stand alone, or as a processor?

I heard the 3805 (very good), 7400 (very good and warmer, better for mettalic tweeters)

My options are, SR5500, SR7400, AVR2805, no speakers decided yet.

And a same brand universal player, Dv6400, Dv6500, DVD2910 (expensive...)

Thanx!:)

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Denon and Marantz both make excellent products. Some people in this forum believe that for music reproduction, the Marantz has an edge. I was considering one myself, but after doing a search of this forum I found a number of posts concerning quality control issues with some Marantz receivers. I eventually bought a Denon 2805.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Denon and Marantz are the only japanese sounds I like except a some products from others...

I really think Marantz has the edge is ultimate sound quality, but I'm not decided between this models...

Which speakers do you have?

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I have Klipsch RF5's. These tend to have a very strong high end due to their horn loading. I had been using a Yamaha (which also has a strong high end). That combination was a little on the bright side. The Denon has an even response across the entire spectrum. Of course, that may also be due to the fact that the Denon includes a microphone that allows it to do room and speaker equalization.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never seen or heard Klipsh but if you have bright sounding speakers the Marantz gear woulb be the perfect match...

I'm thinking about a Denon AV Receiver only if I don't buy speakers with metalic (bright) tweeters...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Falp,

I just bought the Marantz SR7400, and I love it. The sound is very musical, and to my ears sounded better than the Denon 2805.

That being said, I think you would be happy with either. The Denon is a fine receiver, too.

For what it's worth, the Marantz comes with a really nice learning remote that is thoughtfully laid out, has an LCD screen and can be fully illuminated in the dark with the press of a button. The quality of the accompanying remote is something often overlooked by people shopping for a receiver. For me, while it was not of paramount importance, it did help influence my decision in going with the SR7400 over the NAD 753.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the 7400 remote is anything practical...

This and the 80/100/120 Xover are the only downsides...

I prefer the 2805 remote and Xover options...

But the Marantz sound... :D

Choices Choices... :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.