AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I hope this is the right section for this question although it probably is not. I checked the video section but nothing seemed to fit into my topic. I have my cable box hooked up to my denon with RCA (regular HD cable box) and my denon is hooked up to my tv with HDMI. Here i the problem, every time i change channels my tv looses the signal it says no signal for like 3 seconds then regains signal from the HDMI. Do any of you guys know what the problem might be? I called denon they said check if there are any HDMI updates for the cable box but i called them up to they had no idea what to do. Any ideas? would this be my TV or cable box? Denon said my receiver shouldn't be the problem

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
This is called "HDMI handshake" problems, it happens when you change channels and the TV has to resync to the new signal being sent, and is especially prevelant when you change resolutions (i.e. switching from a 720p channel to a 1080i channel). 3 seconds is actually a very normal delay for the video to re-sync when changing channels over an HDMI connection.

Try setting your cable box to output a FIXED resolution of 1080i, that should help. If it doesn't, and it's going to drive you crazy, my suggestion is to run a component video (three RCA's) connection from the 2808ci to your display and use that for TV watching.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how could i do it so for the cable box it doesn't use the HDMI out but instead uses RCA out

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
well the easiest thing would just be to bypass the receiver completely for video, run the RCA straight to the TV and just run a digital audio cable to the Denon for sound.

alternately, just do what I said and run an RCA cable from the Denon to the TV, and switch to that input on the TV. It should work fine.

currently you have it like this, right?

CABLE BOX >> RCA COMPONENT VIDEO >> DENON AVR >> HDMI >> TV

what I am suggesting is:

CABLE BOX >> RCA COMPONENT VIDEO >> DENON AVR >> RCA COMPONENT VIDEO >> TV

or bypass the receiver completely for video:

CABLE BOX >> RCA COMPONENT VIDEO or HDMI >> TV (for video)

CABLE BOX >> DIGITAL AUDIO >> DENON AVR (for audio)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i was just thinking of completely not hooking up the cable box to the denon and just going straight to the tv with component or something for video and sound. Honestly its just tv the important stuff is on blue ray and ps3.... i was just hoping for something that would make my life easier rather then having to switch input and stuff on the tv.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
did you try setting your cable box to a fixed resolution (like 1080i) for all channels? that should also help things and allow you to stay on one input on your TV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts