AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have tried searching the forums, but have not found other threads that could help me. But I do apologize if this has been asked before.

I have recently purchased a Denon 2809 receiver and have set it up with my 5.1 speakers. I have ran the Audessey auto-setup and when I watch a movie I get the correct 5.1 signal (fronts, center, rears and sub).

However, my question goes to when I am just listening to music. Since my front speakers are small, I prefer to use the sub also when listening to 2-channel stereo - what I think is called 2.1 sound...

But, when I put on a cd or play an album from my mediacenter, I only get sound from the 2 front speakers and not from the sub. The sub is an active sub (from Jamo) and it has a little red LED that turns green when it is on (receives a signal from the amp).

When listening to music, the led stays red and on the right side of the Denon display only Front L+R speakers are lit. When watching a movie in 5.1 it turns green and the Denon display shows me both Front L+R, C, SW and rears.

I am sure that it is purely a question of finding the correct setting, but when reading the manual from Denon, I just get more confused.

Can anybody shed some light on where I should look for the correct setting?

Thank you in advance.

/Simon

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
You need to set up the Denon into a mode that will use the bass management. I suspect that you are using a "direct" mode for CD/stereo and you should change that to "stereo."

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/17019339

You need to set up the Denon into a mode that will use the bass management. I suspect that you are using a "direct" mode for CD/stereo and you should change that to "stereo."

Yep, I have the 2808 and you have to be in stereo. You may also have to select "LFE+Main" in your setup menu. There should be a thread on the 2809 that addresses this. If not, do a search for Batpig or JD Smoothie as they are the guys that frequent the Denon threads and answer questions on a regular basis. Batpig has an excellent guide to setting up Denon receivers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts