AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to judge the Denon DVD-2900's component PQ to a DVI output based DVD player? Just wondering how it fares.

thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ive had both & i think if you have a DVI equipped digital TV then the dvi player puts out a better picture

·
Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Not really. DVI is a tad cleaner but I bet if I A/Bed them to you, you wouldn't be able to tell everytime. The problem with DVI players so far is their internals pretty much suck. With the exception of maybe the Samsung, but I have heard bad stuff about them too.

The Bravo and Momitsu use an inferior de-interlacer that makes the picture almost unwatchable for me. Bravo has stated that they are working at it and hope to remidy this in the future. I look forward to that. I am hoping that the 5900 will deliver the same standard as the good progressive scan players do with their DVI.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have a 2900 connected to a Mitsu RPTV and a Samsung DVI to a Samsung DLP and the Mitsu/2900 excels with DVDs. (both sets had minor tweaking.) i mean the black level is just incomparable between the two. and this is significant since most movies contain dark scenes. in bright scenes or animated films, i prefer the punch on the DLP. colors really stand out. overall, i would pick the Mitsu/2900 for DVDs while the DLP for HDTV.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Umm, memnoch, you're comparing two completely different display technologies: CRT and DLP, which have widely recognized strengths and weaknesses. One strength of the CRT is black levels.

In other words, you're seeing differences, but any differences in PQ b/t the 2900 and the Samsung via DVI are well swamped by the differences b/t your two TVs...

TM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.