AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I see it this should be a welcome addition to the mid-end optical player scene. The marantz, onkyo/integra, yamaha and pioneer units haven't received the most favorable reviews when SACD/DVD-A/ and 480p DVD-V are all considered.

The lexicon RT-10, the Linn Unidisk and The MSB are all pretty expensive.

Hopefully the Denon will fill the middle nicely.

Who else makes universal players besides apex (ugh!)?

Barry

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Barry, I don't think you've done all of your homework. The Yamaha 2300 as far as this forum is concerned has been universally praised as near as I can tell.

In fact, the think the 2900 will be hard-pressed to beat it in overall price and performance. Still, at this point I think you would be wise to wait a few weeks to see what develops.

Brian.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that the 2300 had an issue in that it emitted an audible hiss during conventional CD playback.

Perhaps I was wrong!

B

·
Registered
63 Posts
You're not wrong that you heard that.. it was written as part of a review by Sound and Vision. However, no owner on this forum (myself included) has detected anything that could be construed as extra noise in ANY format (CD, DD, DTS, DVD-A, SACD). Sound quality in all formats in exceptional on the 2300. My thoughts at this point are that either the review had a faulty unit (given when that review came out, it must have been a pre-production unit) or else it's a case of machines telling us things that we can't detect. I don't know, I've never tried measuring signal noise.. but I can tell you that I'm a fairly discriminating listener and have absolutely no complaints!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.