AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on this unit. Er, I think.

After much reading, ALL makes and models have their pluses and minuses-my only concerns about the 2900 are;

1.) it failed Secrets' chroma tests- does anyone find this especially troublesome now that you've lived with the unit?

2.) lack of DVI out- this is for a DCDi equipped DLP so I was going to output 480i via component anyway

3.) subjective comments and measured results about somewhat soft image- how soft is soft (subjectively)?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm not sure, but if you are going to be using the 480i output and let the Faroudja chip in your display handle the rest, it may mask the 2900's chroma problems.

For what it's worth, I prefer my 2900 to my Pannie RP82.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stacy Huff
I'm not sure, but if you are going to be using the 480i output and let the Faroudja chip in your display handle the rest, it may mask the 2900's chroma problems.

Exactly, I switched from 2900 to a DVI 2190, only sharper if you are comparing directly. Go 480i into the display...great player

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stacy Huff
I have both of these players too.. I use to think that the RP82 was king when it came to picture quality until I starting giving the 2900 more play time.. I originally purchased the 2900 to handle my music listening.. then one day I decided to use the 2900 for a few movies What I found was that while the RP 82 seemed crisper and sharper it also looked digital and electronic while my 2900 look smooth and film like.. I prefer the 2900 for movies because of this..

BTW, have you seen the prices the rp82 have been getting on Ebay.. The last one just went for $350 !!!! Now that is the mark of a truely awesome player.. Imagine that it is now selling for LOTS more then it was when it was new.. I don't think that will ever happen to my 2900..... I sure am glad that I kept the RP82.. Do you think one day I will be able to sell her for TWICE the price it was when new?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Philips 963SA died and I replaced it with a 2900 last month.

I have been most impressed with both picture quality and sound. It is used with a Sanyo Z2 (component), Yamaha 1400 and Energy speakers.

I've not noticed any chroma bug or soft picture. We probably watch 2-3 DVDs a week including re runs of animated movies for the kids (Nemo, etc)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
ritter: And, on balance, I thought it was a very good review of the 2900. Not that I would ever buy (or not buy) a piece of equipment based on someone elses' opinion. I read reviews for information and opinion, nothing else. It is a starting point. At $1000 it was a very good DVD player; now, at $549 the value becomes very great.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ritter
Thanks all.

longshanksdvd- you switched from 2900 to 2190 (you mean 2910, don't you)- why?

Yes a 2910. I did it to use a digital (HDMI/DVI) connection to my projector IF7200 which also has DCDI. The picture is a little sharper and cleaner but not as huge as most folks indicate in going from analog to digital.

I think this small difference is due to the 2900 having a very good analog section and sending a 480i signal so the 7200s DCDI scaler can do the rest.

I will say for the price, 2910 is great. It is going to give you probably the best picture DVD can offer very cheap.

Also, For what it is worth I had a Denon 1600 (same as a RP82) and I prefered the 2900 in everyway over it.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ritter
Guess I could use the DACs in my Krell pre/pro to do the a/d conversion rather than the 2900 if it's DACs sound too harsh.
I struggle to hear a difference between my Krell Showcase and my Denon DVD-3800's analog outputs. I doubt you will be very dissatisfied. I think most of the reviewers just want to hear differences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.