AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...why my picture quality looks better in 'Interlaced' mode, and NOT 'Progressive'?

I've got my 2900 running into a Sony Grand Vega KDF 60" via Better Cables top-of-the-line Component cables. In the 'Video Out' menu, I've always had it in Progressive based on recommendations from this forum and since I've always heard that progressive bests interlaced in PQ. In Progressive, I've always had tiny 'jaggies' generally in higher contrast shots. i.e. you'll see the 'jaggies' on a dark suit coat against a lighter background. In 'Video Out', I changed to Interlaced and the 'jaggies' all but disappeared! It really is quite noticeable. On my set-up, Interlaced looks better than Progressive. Could someone please give me a technical reason why? Many thanks...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Because the deinterlacer in your TV does a better job (to your eye) than the deinterlacer in the 2900. Which is surprising, though, as the 2900 is supposed to be one of the best 480p players out there, picture-quality-wise.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd argue against any such claims that the GW's deinterlacer is better. It's likely the DRC setting on the TV being set to blur and smooth features, etc...

With that said, I use an iScan Ultra that uses the exact same deinterlacing chip that the 2900 uses - I don't see any jaggies - in fact, the pq is far better than any upscaling player I've plugged into my XBR GWII. Each of those at 720p and 1080i all produced more stair-stepping on the scenes I regularly use to compare such things.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The 2900's deinterlacer should be much better than anything built into that Sony. Make sure you have the video settings to cinema and any SVM or other gimmicky features turned off. Also, the calibration will be different between 480p and 480i, so make sure you are comparing a similarly calibrated picture. Keep tweaking and you will find the problem.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have thought the 2900's deinterlacer would be superior as well. I appreciate all who have opined. As a FYI, on the Sony GW, when you are sending it a 480P signal, all of the advanced video functions are disabled anyway. There is no Cinemotion or DRC(Digital Reality Creation) to adjust or manipulate. It's basically the calibration functions(color, sharpness, brightness, etc.). You can ONLY go into the Advanced Functions on the GW when you are sending it a 480I signal. Bottom line, the stair-steps or 'jaggies' virtually disappear completely in 480I and are quite notorious in 480P. And PQ looks identical between 480I and 480P. I don't view this as problematic at all, rather, I've just been curious as to why Interlaced gives me a more pleasant viewing experience? Perhaps we're downplaying the abilities of the Sony? Again, thanks to all...George

·
Registered
84 Posts
other denon 2900 owners

excuse a newbie stylee question...

i am about to receive my recently purchased 2900. maybe even later today depending on ups. it seems like a good choice to me all around. in the future i hope to use it's audio capabilities more. in the meantime, i just want a killer dvd player. it seems to be one. well regarded all around. i'll be using the component out right on into a new samsung hlr6168w dlp tv.

since dvd content is actually 480i, and i'm not sure how well the upconverting dvd players do at their conversion compared to the 2900, and i wonder what the practical difference is. granted, i'm going component analog instead of digital, but some folks have reported liking that for picture quality better than the digital connections when done on other players (like the 2910 and 3910). so i am harboring the opinion that most of the upsampling discussion is minutea since the source is inherently 480i. so long as there are no MB issues, which there apparently isn't with the 2900, it ought to be pretty damn good. it looks like it was primarily preferenced by audio folk. but i am given the impression that the video still holds its own quite well against other players. are 2900 owners still happy with it's video output, are folks getting the digital output mod i'd heard about for it, or foks getting other dvd players for video and keeping this for sacd or dvda audio?

i didn't see a denon 2900 owners thread, so i wanted to ask here.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thread stealer! ;) JK

If your 2900 works without any technical issues(some have been problematic for various reasons), you will be more than pleased with the DVD PQ. I had my 2900 side-by-side with the Denon 3910 and the PQ for film was identical to my eyes. That was 2900 running component and the 3910 running HDMI. Kris Deering in the 'Secret's' review said the PQ was identical between the 2900 and 3910 running into the same displays. Kris' review is what sold me on the 2900 at half the price! The 3910 is better for audio, BUT the 2900 is no slouch. My understanding is the 3910 is better for Video material because of the Faroudja chipset. I personally never tested any video material to see which looked better.

Calibrate your display/player and watch DVD's. If you're happy with the PQ, don't bother with any upgrades....at least for now.

Did I mention NO layer change to worry about on the 2900! :D I have yet to see a layer change on ANY DVD I've thrown at mine. I'm not sure I could ever have a unit that has any length of layer change. No layer change = spoiled. :)

Read Kris Deering review of the 3910 where he mentions the PQ being identical to the 2900 here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

·
Registered
84 Posts
i'm gonna shut up and be happy with my new toy. :)

given the positive reviews on the kit i have, i'll have a great home theatre and sweating the details ain't gonna help a thing. time to enjoy the setup. hooray for the 2900 cheers!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry to steal this thread, but my 2900 won't read SACD music discs. The little red light indicating SACD won't even light up.

DVD-A is OK. Does it sound like laser pickup problems?

Alex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.