AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem getting the volume level up on the subwoofer in the 2900's setup menu for SACD?

With filter setting in the "on" position, I thought that the subwoofer channel was suppose to go up something 10 to 15 dbs. It doesn't seem to do that when using the speaker level test tones in the 2900. Actually its so low, that I thought I had miswired it. It was only after I raised the master volume on the ref 50 that I could hear it.

In order to get the subwoofer to match the other channels, I'm having to drop the other channels by 10db in the 2900 menu and then raise subwoofer in the ref 50's menu. This doesn't seem right.

It would be helpful, even if you don't have the ref 50 but do have the 2900 and have SACD experience with it to comment on subwoofer levels.

Thanks,

·
Registered
986 Posts
The 2900 has the typical problem with SACD and DVD-Audio that the sub level is about 10 db low. My Denon 2200 has a setting in the menu that automatically boosts the sub level by 10db. Since the 2900 came out before the 2200, it does not have that same automatic setting. So, you have to manually adjust the speaker levels in the 2900 to get the sub 10db higher than the other channels.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeffrey r

Thanks for responding.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do this on the 2900. The levels setting for subwoofer start out at "0" and then go down from there. As far as I can tell, without setting the other speakers on the 2900 to -10 and then increasing subwoofer via preamp, there is no way to get the subwoofer setting close to the other speakers.

On your 2200, do you have a test tone feature to the level's setting? If so, does the volume on the subwoofer approximate the other speakers??

I've even tried the reset to factory default. I'm at a loss as to what's happening.

Since this model's been out for a while, I was hoping it was some non intuitive setting that had to be changed and not some defect that Denon hasn't gotten around to fixing.

Edit:

I think I've found the answer to this. Should have researched it better before posting here. Sorry folks. Maybe this will help someone else.

It appears that SACDs by many studios are recorded with 10 dbs too much bass. So if you set speaker levels in the 2900 to match each other, which can't be done on mine at least, then when you play one of these SACDs the bass will be too loud. So, Denon has the default settings such that subwoofer is 10 dbs lower than the other speakers when they are set the same in the setup menu. As luck has it, the one SACD that I bought yesterday doesn't have this 10 dbs of too much bass. I would have preferred that the levels adjustment would have set the subwoofer even with the other speakers and then allowed a minus 10 dbs to the subwoofer on the remote.

Here's the URL for a more detailed description of what's going on.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdf...ps%2060903.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.