AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i recently switched my Denon 2910 from HDMI to Component because of various posts stating that the Sny 55XS LCD RPTV does a much better job de-interlacing. now i'm noticing scan lines on certain DVD's. the picture does seem a bit smoother except for the "jagged" scan lines during certain scenes. any reason i'm seeing this after reading all these positive posts about component being better than HDMI?

thanks guys.

Carmine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizemaker
hey guys. i recently switched my Denon 2910 from HDMI to Component because of various posts stating that the Sny 55XS LCD RPTV does a much better job de-interlacing. now i'm noticing scan lines on certain DVD's. the picture does seem a bit smoother except for the "jagged" scan lines during certain scenes. any reason i'm seeing this after reading all these positive posts about component being better than HDMI?

thanks guys.

Carmine.
I have the same set (but not the same DVD player). The 55XS has independent user and service menu settings for each input, meaning, that if you have calibrated your set for one input AND scan rate, and you move the source to another input (and/or change the scan rate), you aren't necessarily getting the same settings. You'll have to recalibrate.

I find the difference in inputs are not that noticable. (I believe you can eek out a bit more resolution from HDMI, but it's not a huge difference.) BUT, if you are talking about sending 480i instead of 480p or 720p from your DVD player (regardless of connection), I've found out after a lot of testing, while the Sony has a decent internal interlacer, it does not do the best job in regards to rendering smooth lines. I've noticed on the Avia resolution patterns and THX Optimizer sharpness pattern, that lines at the "finer" end of the spectrum are not rendered smoothly... and that both my Pioneer 588a and Oppo 971's internal deinterlacers do a smoother job.

So, make sure you calibrate for each input.. then do A/B tests between them with a resolution/sharpness test pattern.

-Terry

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suspect it has to do with how the 55xs scales 480p. I say that because I have a Sony 975 DVD connected to my 42WE lcd tv and I have found that 480i looks much smoother than 480p over component or hdmi. That might indicate that the 975's deinterlacer isn't as good as the tv's but, 720p and 1080i over HDMI look just as smooth as 480i over component. So the combination of deinterlacing and scaling in the 975 works well. I have compared all the various combinations of 480i/480p/720p/1080i over hdmi/component with the DVE test patterns and 480p is consitently the worst in terms of smoothness. There is always pronounced stairstepping on diaginal lines with 480p input to my 42we.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Terry. thanks for the quick reply. now what service menu options did you use to adjust resolution - the MID 5 category MVLC, MHLC, MVLS, MVFM, MHFM? if you adjusted any others, please let me know.

thanks so much again.

Carmine

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJ
I have the same set (but not the same DVD player). The 55XS has independent user and service menu settings for each input, meaning, that if you have calibrated your set for one input AND scan rate, and you move the source to another input (and/or change the scan rate), you aren't necessarily getting the same settings. You'll have to recalibrate.

-Terry
Maybe this is why I'm not getting good results with 480p on my 42we. I haven't changed any of the service menu settings but I'm very happy with 720p over hdmi so I won't try messing with them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
hey Terry. thanks for the quick reply. now what service menu options did you use to adjust resolution - the MID 5 category MVLC, MHLC, MVLS, MVFM, MHFM? if you adjusted any others, please let me know.

thanks so much again.

Carmine
Yeah, definitely MID-5: MVLS, MHLC, MVLC ... you might also want to see if your POP setting is correct in conjunction to those others (remember to write down the original.)

Also, DCP-ADJ2: SHOF ... this adds "sharpness" or edge enhancement on top of the existing Sharpness (user) control.

-Terry

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryt
Maybe this is why I'm not getting good results with 480p on my 42we. I haven't changed any of the service menu settings but I'm very happy with 720p over hdmi so I won't try messing with them.
Yeah, after tweaking around... I get much smoother results with my Pioneer 588a with 480p (letting the DVD player do the deinterlacing) as opposed to 480i (letting the Sony handle deinterlacing... with it's Cinemotion setting and DRC at 1:1... essentially off). The Sony deinterlacer actually has more inherent "sharpness", but the Pioneer has much smoother lines. This is especially seen in the Avia resolution wedges, where the fine lines meet. The Sony deinterlacer makes those lines jaggy/crooked... the Pioneer is smooth all the way through.

By the way... to clarify... the User Menu controls are only different per input (but not per scanrate.) The Service Menu controls, certain controls are different per input AND scanrate.

-Terry

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey terry. not sure i understand the part about my POP setting being in conjuction with "others". can you elaborate a bit for me.

thanks so much again.

Carmine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
hey terry. not sure i understand the part about my POP setting being in conjuction with "others". can you elaborate a bit for me.

thanks so much again.

Carmine.
From just looking at it, the POP setting seems to effect the overall resolution, and it seems to come full circle every notch or so. I can't say exact what's going on there, except that with a device that isn't eeking out enough resolution or perhaps too much "sharpness", you might want to check and see if your POP settting is correct. You can then, afterwards, adjust those other MID-5 settings to fine tune from there.

-Terry

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
ok terry this is what i'm confused about. what is the "correct" POP setting?

thanks again.

Carmine.
You might want to check UMR's GWIV (or GWIII) tweak threads in the Rear Projection forum for Excel spreadsheets listing his settings. (I think other people have posted their settings too.)

What is "correct"? Ultimately, what looks best to you. Try different combos of settings... check 'em with some material and test patterns... (Just remember your factory default, so you can always go back to that.)

-Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.