AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed here lately that my Denon has been turning off after 4 or so hours of playing. It seems to shut itself down when Im watching TV in the Matrix mode or when 5 channels are being driven for long periods of time. The standby light blinks off and on until you power down completely. The receiver is very warm to the touch. This leads me to believe that the fan is not working properly, or that there is not enough room for the reciever to breath. I had to move it up so there is maybe 3 or 4 inches of headroom above the reciever. The receiver is two yrs old.

Should I buy a small fan and put it in the back of the unit or is my unit on the verge of breaking down? I reset the micro processors recently. Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,

Todd

BTW, Everything is plugged into a surge protector

:confused:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Figgie,

You mention 3-4 inches of clearance, but you don't mention if that 3-4 inches is closed or open. If this is inside a cabinet with doors on the front and a closed back, then the fan can't do a thing as the heat has no-where to go. Make sure the fan is on before it shuts down to insure it is actually working, but then look to see how you can improve ventilation. It may be as simple as cutting a hole in the back of you cabinet. 3-4 inches should be enough if it has room to breath. Finally, what are you running for speakers and in what size room? Some speakers are tough enough a load to actually shut the reciever down. Check out the thread here on the PSB Stratus Gold-i speakers where similar was discussed. Based on how you worded your post though, it sounds like the reciever was not shutting down until you moved it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.