AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

Have 2 quick questions regarding the 3310CI. I went through the existing 3310CI thread and couldn't seem to locate an answer.

My question is regarding initial set up- do I first go through speaker set up, then run Audyssey- or should I plug the microphone in first thing and let Audyssey do this for me?

Second question- unfortunately I have an older Xbox 360 which isn't capable of HDMI, just Component. If I connect the component cable into the component input ins on the 3310ci, I'm assuming that I would then have to run a 2nd component cable to the input on my tv then too, right? Or can I set it so the signal then goes to the "monitor out" on the 3310 which is HDMI?

I've read through the manual (which is horrible) and unless I've missed something...

Thanks all

·
Registered
128 Posts
1. You do speaker setup to tell the receiver how many speakers you do have and then you run audyssey

2. You can run the component out through the HDMI

but i am not sure if it will support 1080p though Component to HDMI conversion

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another question regarding the Xbox 360. I'm assuming that when I plug the component cables from the 360 to the component in on the 3310ci, as long as i have video conversion turned to "on", it will then send the signal to my hdmi out cable which runs to my tv, correct?

After I do this, what do i do with my fiber optic cable? Does this also get converted and sent to the hdmi out to the tv? I see that they are "assignable", so do i just assign them to the same hdmi in which my 360 would be connected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
you should probably migrate over to the 3310CI owner's thread as you well get more specific help there.

Quote:
I'm assuming that when I plug the component cables from the 360 to the component in on the 3310ci, as long as i have video conversion turned to "on", it will then send the signal to my hdmi out cable which runs to my tv, correct?

yes, this correct. any video input can be converted to HDMI output and also scaled up to 1080p if you so choose. you can have different settings for each input.

Quote:
what do i do with my fiber optic cable? Does this also get converted and sent to the hdmi out to the tv?

no there is no "audio conversion". the whole point is to play the audio on your REAL speakers, not your TV!

Quote:
do i just assign them to the same hdmi in which my 360 would be connected?

this doesn't make any sense, you said you weren't using HDMI from the 360. you only have to assign INPUTS, the output to HDMI is automatic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Batpig-

Thanks for the reply!

I might not have explained myself correctly. With my 360, I have a component video cable and fiber optic cable. I understand that i connect the component cable into the 3310 and it will then go to my monitor via hdmi, but what about sound? you are right, i want my sound coming through the receiver, so what do i do about the fiber optic cable that comes from the 360?

Hopefully i articulated this better than the first time

Thanks

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I think you are confused.

1. The component video cables carry VIDEO to the receiver

2. The optical audio cable carries AUDIO to the receiver

3. The audio will play on your speakers, the video will pass on through to the TV.

You need BOTH the component video and the optical audio cable from the Xbox 360 to the AVR in order to get video AND audio. Only HDMI will carry audio+video in one cable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I understand that component delivers video & optical delivers audio.

What i am trying to understand is what to do with the fiber optic cable so it delivers audio to my receiver- don't I want the audio to also go through the same hdmi?

I do not really know of any other way of articulating this.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
What i am trying to understand is what to do with the fiber optic cable so it delivers audio to my receiver

you plug it in!! that's it!

it has NOTHING to do with the HDMI going to the TV!!!

I don't know how to explain it more clearly -- the HDMI is not in between the Xbox 360 and the receiver. The component video + optical audio connection (from Xbox 360 to the AVR) is INDEPENDENT from the HDMI connection to the TV.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Connect the optical cable to an optical input on the receiver and assign that input to the same ionput source label as the component video cable. Then when you switch to that source, the receiver will get audio through optical and video through the component. It will send video on to the TV and will play the sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts