AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought a Denon AVR-3311CI as an "upgrade" from my AVR-3808CI (just wanted HDMI 1.4 for 3D). It actually cost quite a bit more than my 3808. But now I'm hearing it's a downgrade in amp power, people have problems with the network card going bad, it's made in China instead of Japan now, etc. I'm a bit disappointed. My fault for not researching more to begin with. Did I make a mistake? Will I notice a difference in sound quality compared to the 3808? I have a Klipsch 7.1 reference RF3-II setup (SVS Subwoofer).

I haven't opened it yet (arrived today). Do you think I should keep this 3311, or return it and get another receiver? The 4311CI is just too much, and the 4310CI doesn't support HDMI 1.4 (right?). Are there better receivers I should consider that would cost about the same as the 3311? I'm most concerned with overall audio quality for the speakers I have (mainly for home theater - not a lot of music, and never crazy loud either). Thanks for your thoughts,

--Kyle

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts
The 3311 is a downgrade in component quality (the successor to the 3808 being the 4310 and 4311), however, it does have MultEQ XT so you shouldn't notice much of a difference. Unless you live outside the US, the 3311 should have cost considerably less than the 3808 if you bought the 3808 new. A less expensive route would have been to upgrade to a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP so you could still connect HD audio to the 3808.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYamnitz /forum/post/19649392

Are there better receivers I should consider that would cost about the same as the 3311?

No. Of course that depends on how much you paid. I'm quite happy with the sound mine produces for the under $800 I paid. Due to Audyssey MultEQ (XT) and DynamicEQ, it sounds better than my old $1200 Marantz receiver. You won't do better in this price bracket unless you go used/refurbished and that assumes you don't need HDMI 1.4 since it's new to this year's models.

I think it'll sound just fine compared to your 3808, regardless of where it was built or if you lose a few watts of power. The only issue the 3311 will have is if your speakers are only rated at 4ohm in which case, you do NOT want the 3311. Otherwise, enjoy the 3311 and just hope your network card doesn't go bad as the Denons do seem to have a lot of issues here (although far fewer complaints than with last year's models so far). But at least you have a 3 year warranty should problems arise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

jdsmoothie, I just checked my old receipt, and I was wrong - I paid almost $400 more for the 3808... So you were right on that - not sure what I was thinking. I thought about just a 2-output BD player, but eventually I'll probably have more than one 3D device so I just thought I'd upgrade.

jkozlow3, thanks for your vote of confidence in the receiver. I'll have to check on my speakers - I'm not sure off hand what ohm they are...

Just having a bit of buyer's remorse when I realized the old 3xxx series is now the 4xxx series - but I guess this receiver will probably be fine. Take care,

--Kyle

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Even though the RF line is 8ohm rated, I believe they do dip down below 3ohms. Some folks say that they really open up with more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.