AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at these receivers. Which has the best sound? Any networking problems with either one?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Sound will be determined more by your speakers and room.

The AVR(any actual amp) will have less than 1% of the "entire" affect of the sound you get. The remaining 99% is purely your speakers and room.

Which receiver has the features you are actually going to use...at a price you are willing to pay?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20786384

Sound will be determined more by your speakers and room.

The AVR(any actual amp) will have less than 1% of the "entire" affect of the sound you get. The remaining 99% is purely your speakers and room.

Which receiver has the features you are actually going to use...at a price you are willing to pay?

The two main features for me are HD Radio and networking, which both have. I like the airplay and am leaning towards the Denon for that reason but have heard some mixed results regarding their networking. If the choice is over a receiver with airplay or the best networking, I'll take the networking. Price wise, they will be about the same once I add the $150 bucks for the HD module for the Onkyo.

I was also looking at the Marantz 6006 but I decided I can't deal with that tiny little peep hole display. Don't want to have to turn on the TV for OSD when I just want to listen to the radio.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am stuck between these two AVRs as well. Have been reading for about a month. What I have read about Denon and networking is what is leaning me towards the 809. The 809 has the ISF video, 4k scaling (which I wont use at this time - LOL), and vga input for my old HTPC. I had a 808, but returned it (mine had those issues you can read about). I am stuck with cructhfield as I have credit (they are great). I was steered toward the Marantz 5006, but if I read correctly -you have to pay for firmware updates. So that is why I went back to looking at Denons. There are off/on deals for the 809 at other sites. I am not sure you can find the Denon at the same price. Onkyo has only 2 year versus Denon's 3, but I read here you can get a 3rd from Onkyo for $65 (cheaper than going thru another warranty co). Right now I am leaning more towards the 809, but have yet to make the purchase. ::sigh::

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avshtpcbob /forum/post/0

I am stuck between these two AVRs as well. Have been reading for about a month. What I have read about Denon and networking is what is leaning me towards the 809. The 809 has the ISF video, 4k scaling (which I wont use at this time - LOL), and vga input for my old HTPC. I had a 808, but returned it (mine had those issues you can read about). I am stuck with cructhfield as I have credit (they are great). I was steered toward the Marantz 5006, but if I read correctly -you have to pay for firmware updates. So that is why I went back to looking at Denons. There are off/on deals for the 809 at other sites. I am not sure you can find the Denon at the same price. Onkyo has only 2 year versus Denon's 3, but I read here you can get a 3rd from Onkyo for $65 (cheaper than going thru another warranty co). Right now I am leaning more towards the 809, but have yet to make the purchase. ::sigh::

The ONKYO TX-NR809 is a beast of an A/V receiver,I mean killer, If you want a real deal power house amplifier along with a high current power supply,state of the art high tech 32 bit processing preamp with a full complement of state of the art features, go with the TX-NR809, it is built like a tank and sounds very powerful, detailed and clean, in a word, excellent !

ONKYO, is offering up, premium, platinum, class A receivers, for much less money,than the competition!

Other manufacturers, would be asking double the price, if they offered a receiver in there lineup with the build quality, all of the features and real power house amplifier design of the TX-NR809. The ONKYO TX-NR809 along with its big brother the TX-NR1009 are amongst the best, most feature laden receivers available anywhere on planet earth,bar none, at this time.

ONKYO is killing the competition right now, with there 2011 receiver lineup, more so than in any other model year!

Believe me when I tell you,no other receiver's in the world, from any other manufacture can touch ONKYO's 2011 lineup, for any where near there MSRP's, let alone there actual street prices, starting with the TX-NR609, there overall features,internal amplifier topology high current power supplys and powerful 32 bit processing pre amps along with there overall design, out shine much of the competion.

It really is mind boggling!

Take the time to check out the

video reviews on youtube,and the printed reviews on the internet, google them, there are quite a few reviews on most of this years ONKYO lineup and,they are all extremely positive!

The all new for 2011 cosmetic facelift, is a fresh and very attractive,industrial sleek, modern look, making them, the sharpest, best looking, A/V receivers, in ONKYO's long history, ever!

ONKYO's 2011 A/V receiver offerings, (TX-NR609,709,809,1009, and, HT-RC360,370) on up, are STATE OF THE ART, FUTURE PROOF, MASTERPIECES!

(F Y I)

The Japanese word, ONKYO, translated into english, means, SOUND.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
One thing to note...The Airplay can't be used in Zone 2 without "party mode" activated(essentially turning Zone 2 into "speaker B")...

Onkyo's USB(for your Ipod/Ipad/Iphone/Zune/Flash Drive) can be used in Zone 2 with zero problems.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I was just reading what other people have said about Airplay.

So, what is the real scoop on using Airplay in the 2nd zone? I assume it has to also be Zone 1.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody have comparisons on these two? leaning towards the Onkyo but really wanted to know which has better sound.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Get a Pioneer Elite SC-35. I had an Onkyo for a couple of days but then it started screwing up. In the process of sending it back now. Got my Elite in yesterday. Boy what a difference in sound. Blows the Onkyo away. Seriously pick one up. I'm never buying anything but Elite now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 /forum/post/20835923

Get a Pioneer Elite SC-35. I had an Onkyo for a couple of days but then it started screwing up. In the process of sending it back now. Got my Elite in yesterday. Boy what a difference in sound. Blows the Onkyo away. Seriously pick one up. I'm never buying anything but Elite now.

I know but I wanted HD Radio. How is the video processing on the SC-35?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 /forum/post/20835923

Hello,

While I have high hopes for Pioneer's proprietary D3 Amplification that is replacing the B&O ICE Power Modules used in all prior SC Series Elite AVR's, it remains to be seen how they preform when Bench Tested.

The SC-35 is an amazing value at Costco in that it appears to use the identical Amplifier Stage as the SC-37 with the THX Select2 vs Ultra2 differences being for product positioning and not a result of less power.

The 35/37 are the last of the B&O based Elite AVR's that started with the SC-09. Given Pioneer's direction of late, I am somewhat concerned if future Elite AVR's are going to offer as much power. I am a huge fan of the 35/37.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2 cents on the matter. I went through the same decision between Denon and Onkyo and ended up with the Onkyo 809. I really wanted Airplay but after reading the Denon forums it just felt like people were having a lot of "quirks" with the networking, and that's not something I wanted to deal with. Plus, the 809 was showing up for $700, which seemed like an amazing price.

I think I made the wrong decision.

To start with, let me just say that the thing *sounds* great. I've got no complaints there, but I was expecting more than just great sound.

I had really high hopes for the networking and hdmi features of the 809. I wanted to be able to walk into the house, pull out my iPhone, and queue up some tunes without ever touching a remote control. Unfortunately the 809 uses 55W of power in standby if you leave networking enabled, so the "no remote" part of the dream died.

Next I discovered that almost all of the DLNA remote apps for the iPhone are complete crap. I finally found a fairly decent one (8player), only to learn that most DLNA devices don't support the concept of "queueing up some tunes". You need to have a controlling device constantly feeding the next song to the player. In other words, if you lock your phone the music stops.

To summarize, DLNA is worthless for the "I want to pick an album to play from my phone" use case. The Onkyo iPhone App? Also worthless. Oremote? Interesting app, but not a solution to this problem.

So now the iPhone-as-remote part of the dream is dead, but at least I can still use the built-in DLNA interface to stream my music, right? Sadly, the built-in interface is way too clunky (and not even in HD!). Imagine scrolling through a list of 2000 CDs 10 CDs at a time. Just forget about it. So in the end the DLNA streaming on the 809 is extremely awkward to use no matter *how* you do it.

Then there's the hdmi features. I liked the idea of turning on the PS3 and having the receiver and TV turn on automatically and switch to the right inputs. Unfortunately if you enable hdmi control, guess what happens? That's right, 55W in standby.

So basically, I'm back to programming clunky IR remotes and planning to buy an Apple TV just so I can get a decent music streaming experience (i.e. Airplay). I can't say if the Denon would be better, but if Airplay works like it's supposed to it would be a big big improvement over DLNA.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8gray /forum/post/0

My 2 cents on the matter. I went through the same decision between Denon and Onkyo and ended up with the Onkyo 809. I really wanted Airplay but after reading the Denon forums it just felt like people were having a lot of "quirks" with the networking, and that's not something I wanted to deal with. Plus, the 809 was showing up for $700, which seemed like an amazing price.

To start with, let me just say that the thing *sounds* great. I've got no complaints there, but I was expecting more than just great sound.

I had really high hopes for the networking and hdmi features of the 809. I wanted to be able to walk into the house, pull out my iPhone, and queue up some tunes without ever touching a remote control. Unfortunately the 809 uses 55W of power in standby if you leave networking enabled, so the "no remote" part of the dream died.

Next I discovered that almost all of the DLNA remote apps for the iPhone are complete crap. I finally found a fairly decent one (8player), only to learn that most DLNA devices don't support the concept of "queueing up some tunes". You need to have a controlling device constantly feeding the next song to the player. In other words, if you lock your phone the music stops.

To summarize, DLNA is worthless for the "I want to pick an album to play from my phone" use case. The Onkyo iPhone App? Also worthless. Oremote? Interesting app, but not a solution to this problem.

So now the iPhone-as-remote part of the dream is dead, but at least I can still use the built-in DLNA interface to stream my music, right? Sadly, the built-in interface is way too clunky (and not even in HD!). Imagine scrolling through a list of 2000 CDs 10 CDs at a time. Just forget about it. So in the end the DLNA streaming on the 809 is extremely awkward to use no matter *how* you do it.

Then there's the hdmi features. I liked the idea of turning on the PS3 and having the receiver and TV turn on automatically and switch to the right inputs. Unfortunately if you enable hdmi control, guess what happens? That's right, 55W in standby.

So basically, I'm back to programming clunky IR remotes and planning to buy an Apple TV just so I can get a decent music streaming experience (i.e. Airplay). I can't say if the Denon would be better, but if Airplay works like it's supposed to it would be a big big improvement over DLNA.

And what wrong choice do you think you made?

And how much do you think 55 watts cost a year? Let me give you a hint, not much! Can't you people just enjoy?, the 809 is one of the very best receivers on planet earth,geez! What gives?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm actually in the same dilemma. I can get a new 809 or pay $100 more for the 3312 since they aren't as discounted as the 809. Sales associate threw in a monkey wrench of also pricing the Marantz 6006 for almost the same price as the Denon or an opened box Elite SC-37 for the same as the Onkyo but with no remote or mic. I have a SC-05 already but will sell it to make room for which ever receiver I choose which means I can't keep the remote or the mic to use with the SC-37. Hopefully he can find the remote and mic but he highly doubts it as he's looked before and couldn't find it for a different customer that wanted to buy it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8gray /forum/post/20885745

I'm just starting to read this thread, so please forgive me if this has been talked about.

Since you already have an iphone (&itunes) take a look at getting an airport express or appletv. You can use the "remote" app to remotely control itunes, and stream it to to the AE or aTV.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts