AVS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21458220


woodygg -


I just noticed in Slickdeals you posted about Newegg .. note that it is in fact NOT an authorized Denon reseller.

agreed, i read the updated threads and decided to cancel my order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg /forum/post/0


i eliminated the yamaha because i'd prefer the audyssey.

I understand. I already have a good sub EQ so I don't mind that YPAO on my new receiver doesn't EQ the sub. I also like being able to tweak YPAO in a way that can't be done with the Audyssey that comes with either the Denon or the Marantz I was considering.


That said, if I didn't already have my EQ, then I'd likely have chosen the Marantz.


Either way, I think you'll have a good receiver. Happy shopping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I am looking at the same two receivers - REALLY tough desicision! Feature wise, they seem to be nearly identical. I like the look and uniqueness of the Marantz and the "porthole", not to mention the legacy of the name, but am concerned, that I will not adjust well to the lack of controls on the faceplate as well as the limited information that the porthole provides. I think the Denon would respond to my existing habits. If I want to change radio stations as I'm passing by, for example just quickly press the approriate button(s). I don't need to search for the remote which will be no where near the unit itsef, and fumble for the tiny button. Using the i-gadget "sounds" cool, but that would be equally inconveinent to locate.


The 3312 has more traditional contlrols and a little more power. On the other hand, reading the dedicted threads for these two receivers, it "seems" like more there are more issues with Denon series. (Just a casual observation, I have not made any detailed counts or tallies) Also, it "seems" like there are more former Denon owners that switched to Marantz than vise-veresa. Again, just a causual observation, not based on any hard evidence.


Decisions Decision...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I have a Marantz SR6003 (love it) and I am thinking about upgrade.


The Denon 3312CI and Marantz SR6006 looks like the same, sharing a common digital processing and audio amplification plataform.


Both have in common key features:

- Frontal HDMI input

- Dual HDMI output

- PLL for jitter reducer


The difference in power is probably more conservative Marantz rating.


Look at the inside pictures of both receivers and they are almost the same.


Same cables, digital circuits boards, transfomers, capacitors (12000uF each), heat dissipators.


The key difference is the sonic signature (the third octave a little up in the Marantz).


Also IMHO the Marantz looks better.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosd /forum/post/21520357


I am looking at the same two receivers - REALLY tough desicision! Feature wise, they seem to be nearly identical. I like the look and uniqueness of the Marantz and the "porthole", not to mention the legacy of the name, but am concerned, that I will not adjust well to the lack of controls on the faceplate as well as the limited information that the porthole provides. I think the Denon would respond to my existing habits. If I want to change radio stations as I'm passing by, for example just quickly press the approriate button(s). I don't need to search for the remote which will be no where near the unit itsef, and fumble for the tiny button. Using the i-gadget "sounds" cool, but that would be equally inconveinent to locate.


The 3312 has more traditional contlrols and a little more power. On the other hand, reading the dedicted threads for these two receivers, it "seems" like more there are more issues with Denon series. (Just a casual observation, I have not made any detailed counts or tallies) Also, it "seems" like there are more former Denon owners that switched to Marantz than vise-veresa. Again, just a causual observation, not based on any hard evidence.


Decisions Decision...

dino if you have a BestBuy/Magnolia dealer near you, they usually have both receivers set-up in the demo room for you to play around with so I think that would be a something to do that might help you decide.


BTW, after all the problems I had with the Denon which I bought at a good discount on-line, I decided to buy the Marantz at BB at a smaller discount because you can return it within 30 days. As a matter of fact, I originally bought the 5006 then exchanged it for the 6006 the same day because it had more features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,810 Posts
I was under the impression that to compare these two models and brands for the Marantz you would need to compare the 7005 to the features in the 3311/3312. Is this incorrect? JD can you answer this for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

dino if you have a BestBuy/Magnolia dealer near you, they usually have both receivers set-up in the demo room for you to play around with so I think that would be a something to do that might help you decide. QUOTE]


Yeah, I tried the Magnolia visit. Unfortunately, the closest one, the listening room was a cluster... (maybe I better say) "somewhat dysfunctional" Half of the receivers only had one channel connected. Another good portion, including the SR6006 weren't connected at all. The sales goofs seemed to not care and had very little product knowledge. There are several BB stores in town, I guess I should check if another one has a Magnolia, hopefully in better condition and try try again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21521324


^^

AFAIK, just as the 7005 is pretty much a clone of the 3311CI, the same can be said for the 6006 and the 3312CI.

Can we assume that will likely be a new 7006 on the horizon? That would screw up my selection process and budget!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
89,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosd /forum/post/21521923


Yeah, I tried the Magnolia visit. Unfortunately, the closest one, the listening room was a cluster... (maybe I better say) "somewhat dysfunctional" Half of the receivers only had one channel connected. Another good portion, including the SR6006 weren't connected at all. The sales goofs seemed to not care and had very little product knowledge. There are several BB stores in town, I guess I should check if another one has a Magnolia, hopefully in better condition and try try again!

Note that they you will not be able to experience the benefit of Audyssey as they will not have set that up (ie. once inside your home, Audyssey should do an even better job with your speaker setup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosd /forum/post/21521944


Can we assume that will likely be a new 7006 on the horizon? That would screw up my selection process and budget!

Not at all ... although I'm not in the Marantz loop like I am in the Denon loop. Any new model releases for either Denon or Marantz should be coming out sometime in April with new products to be released shortly thereafter. I can say that the new Denon Product Development Manager came from the Marantz side.
 
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Top