AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an issue where it seems the movies just aren't encoded right or something? Don't really know how to explain it. Basically surround sound doesn't really sound like its working.

Here is my scenario, I have a 5.1 setup currently in my living room using my denon, I don't really hear the surround sound effects... Is this something to do with the disc or something I am not configuring correctly?

1. Using HDMI cable from Denon to TV
2. HDMI cable to samsung bluray player
3. All speakers are using speaker wire and using stab in connectors on the speaker side, speaker wires on denon side are twisted and tightened using the knobs on the back.
4. I am using the following disc (CARS DVD) it says it plays Dolby Digital, NTSC.

Here is a picture of the receiver when playing the dvd.

Just want to find out what I am doing wrong. I always thought the left side was what the disc was encoded with and the right side is what I am emulating/pushing to my speakers.

I played a blu-ray music disc called Hit Man by David Foster and the music sounded great, but it too only showed 2 on the left side...

If I have no disc in my blu ray player, but my receiver set to the blu ray player to detect it I get the following...

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
What model Samsung blu ray player do you have?

Either your BD player is not set to output correctly or you're not selecting the Dolby Digital track on your DVD. You shouldn't be getting PLII Cinema if you're playing a DD 5.1 disc.

More than likely you need to set you player to output bitstream.

Without knowing what player you have its a little difficult to tell you what settings to change.

Also, did you calibrate your setup with the Audyssey microphone?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did use audyssey.

Samsung BD-EM57

I just checked my audio settings and it was set to PCM, I just changed it to Bitstream (Unprocessed), PCM Downsampling: off. Should I change that to on?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Wow, changing from PCM to Bitstream Unprocessed made a HUGE difference!!

I knew someone here would know how to fix my issues! Love this forum!

·
Premium Member
93,254 Posts
When a BDP is connected directly to the TV, in most cases the TV can only accept stereo 2.0 audio so that is what the BDP passes. So when you connect the BDP to an AVR (which can accept multi channel audio DD/DTS 5.1), you must reset the BDP while connected to the AVR so it then passes the multi channel audio. Once done, whether you choose PCM (uncompressed by BDP) or bitstream (uncompressed by AVR) is a personal choice as both will be the same quality audio ... rather the bitstream will simply be a few db louder.

For more helpful information on your 3312CI, review posts 3-6 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-xx12-model-owner-s-thread.html#post20422026

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is that when I switched from PCM to Bitstream everything sounded more dynamic surrounding me. It was night/day difference. Even the wife was like woah what did you just do thats amazing! The sub no longer sounded muddy and just big loud bass tones. It was sharper, cleaner and matched the scenes. I am telling you Bitstream was where its at. Maybe it was my blu ray player couldn't encode things properly when in PCM and passed the wrong signals or what.... Im not really a audio tech, but I do know changing it made a DRASTIC difference.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts