AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to choose a DVD player for a new home theater system, and I need to make the choice fairly soon. I have read a number of threads on these two players, which are in the same ballpark in terms of cost. Unfortunately, it appears that both of these units have the chroma bug. I'm not even so sure that I'd be "bugged" by this (in fact I suspect that I wouldn't be, since I currently have a Sony 360 player and I've never noticed the bug), but in principle it would bother me to spend 1K or more on a player that has a known (and unnecessary) defect.

Here's what I want:

1. I want excellent 480p video performance. I will be getting a 42" Panasonic plasma TV, and I want to "show off" what this TV is capable of.

2. I want excellent audio performance, with at least DVD-A and perhaps both DVD-A and multichannel SACD. Bass management is not a big issue for me, since I plan to get the Anthem AVM-20, which has bass management for these formats.

I guess you can say I want it all -- who doesn't? Am I hoping for too much? Can either of the players listed in the subject line deliver what I want? Are there other players that can?

Thanks in advance for your input...

TMG

·
Registered
653 Posts
TMG - I'm almost in the exact same boat as you. I'm ready to buy a new DVD player (have Pany A310 now), and I now have a Toshiba 56H80 HDTV and want better. I can see the jaggies and the chroma error with my current unit, and I come from an audiophile addiction a few years back so I do know what good sound reproduction is like and want it with DVD.

The Pioneer 47A and Denon 3800 were on my list too, but not happy they still have the chroma bug. I put the Panasonic RP91 on the list, but it doesn't have the DCDi chipset. The one that looks promising at the moment is the Philips DVD962SA and that has SACD, but I was hoping for DVD-Audio also. I'm getting so confused I've started to think maybe just go with a cheaper, but much better video performer now, and then wait until 1H03 to get the next gen video chipsets and better DVD-A/SACD availability. But that then adds the Philips Q50 and Sony NS700P to the short list.

Hope the experts (like Stacy, Phil, Halcy, etc) in this forum can provide some guidance......

·
Registered
58 Posts
DaggerNC:

I am in Raleigh and have been looking for a 962SA. Have you found one?

Frank C.

My short list might be the Denon 1600, RP-91, the RP962 (RP56 replacement)

·
Registered
451 Posts
If what I have seen with the 985 is any indication (and it is as the 962 will have a similar, but slightly better video section), then the 962 will be worth waiting for. It is to be released in June. SACD quality is supposed to be similar to their $2000 SACD1000. Philips can make a very good player if they can keep the bugs out...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well i was also looking at the DV-47A and Denon 3800. I waited til the end of april, which was the latest that it should of shown up at the dealer. It never should up, so i bought the DV-47A which i use with a pioneer 533hd5. Its absolutely incredible. Sound is great, video unreal. Easy to setup many options to choose from. I have heard many bad things lately about the new denon, however i have not seen it with my own eyes. Let us know which one you choose.

·
Registered
653 Posts
FrankC

I haven't found the 962SA yet either, though while I was doing a search on other units a few days ago I SWEAR I found a US site that had it listed, but I didn't know about that model yet and ignored it. I can't recall the site or how I got there (multiple links), but I doubt that they have it in stock??

I would likely take the plunge on the DV-47a if it had the Faroudja chipset, but have a feeling that the Philips may provide a little better video - I'll wait a couple more weeks if I have to (but I hate to when I make the decision to buy something:( ). It might be worth the wait though especially if it's a couple hundred $ cheaper.

dagger

·
Registered
58 Posts
daggerNC

Thanks. Can't find one either.

Saw the Pioneer 47a last night and was impressed by the audio portion.

Not nearly as good as my two channel system (and not expected to be),

but very good.

Video quality was very good, but did not have much time.

Price - will make me wait on a few promising units at a lower cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.