AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Denon 3801 receiver has developed a personality. It will run for days/weeks with no problem, the all of a sudden it shuts itself off.

Once this happens, it will then shut itself off several times in a row (after a couple of seconds to a few minutes).

Then its back to running fine for days/weeks.

Other information:

DVD Player's power is plugged into receiver

Had power surge then realized someone had plugged receiver directly into the wall and bypassed surge protector. This has been corrected.

Is my receiver dying? I just dropped $20K on Plasma and LCD monitors and don't want to replace the receiver right now. I also want to wait for receivers with HDMI (is that the right acronym?) switching.

Please help!

Thanks,

Jacquelyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I told my husband that I knew you guys (and girls) here could help.

How would I determine if there is a short in the speaker wire connections?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacquelyn
Thanks for your response. I told my husband that I knew you guys (and girls) here could help.

How would I determine if there is a short in the speaker wire connections?
Look for bare wires touching each other, or even coming in close contact anywhere. And look for wires that have splits or cuts in the insulation such that they could touch another bare wire. Also look for loose connections and wires - make sure everything is tight, including the electric plugs. It is also possible there is a bad circuit in the receiver but you would have no way of find that - you would have to send it to the shop. Some of our resident engineers may have more/better advice.

Dsmith

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Jacquelyn,

My Denon AVR-3300 had a similar problem, but once it started it wasn't intermittent. It had a cold solder joint fail (that's a manufacturing defect). If the problem persists, it might be worthwhile to have your dealer put it on the bench to take a look.

BTW, it cost $100 to have mine fixed. That may be a factor in deciding whether to have someone look for the problem, or simply to go buy a new product.

Good luck,

-Bill

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Be sure to unplug everything in your system before you go poking through the wires - best to be safe. If you used a professional installer ask him to troubleshoot the system/receiver.

Dsmith

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all!

I also recently moved all the equipment to a dedicated closet. The electrician used by my contractor said he ran a dedicated line for the electricity but the electrician that I had out recently said that it is not. My electrician is coming out next week to look over/correct anything that was done incorrectly.

The closet has glass doors on the front and a regular closet door on the back for equipment access. It is located in a spot where three sides of the closet are accessible, so I also installed an air conditioner return on the side and a exhaust fan in the top.

With 2 AV receivers, 2 DVD players, 1 regular sat receiver and 6 DirecTV Tivos in the closet I have nightmares about the fan failing!

We keep the closet door open when we travel!

Could heat be an issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.