Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just starting my plunge into HT. First purchase was speakers and this receiver. Hooked it up to my DVD player (Samsung M101)using Component video and optical link for Digital sound. Optical link is in the receiver's Opt-1 input.

The receiver on-screen setup has been completed and the receiver's speaker test works as expected.

However, when I set the receiver to EITHER Auto or DTS and then select the DTS Surround. I get NO sound at all. I've selected the DTS sound format on the Sound&Vision HT DVD, and on the Super Speedway DVD. Neither work in DTS, Both work with Neo:6 (which I believe is just a DTS version of Dolby Prologic). Is there something else I need to do?

The other "strange" thing is: Dolby Digital with the S&V DVD. The surround sound test plays the rear speakers in mono.... however, the beginning of the sound chapter plays just fine..... i.e. you hear sounds only from the right rear. Any suggestions? I've read the manual (really!) several times, all the OSD and setup "appears" correct. BTW, my speaker setup is for 5.1, so I turned off the SB (surround back speakers)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmmm. Try going into the DVD setup menu itself. You might have to manually activate DTS. Many DVDs default to pro logic until you tell the unit to play DTS or Dolby Digital.

Also, you might have to switch output in that same menu from analog to digital.

Check also to make sure the DVD player has the ability to pass the DTS signal.

Anyone else think of anything?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maccur!

I'll double check that. There is a switch in the back of the DVD player. But it toggles between S-Video and Component out. I didn't even think about having to "enable" that feature in the DVD player. I was just checking DTS 5.1 audio choice when the DVD started up. Does enabling DTS have any other "side" effects? For example, do I have to disable it to view Dolby Digital? Why would the manufacturer ship with it disabled? I'm guessing there must be some trade-off or it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Pixel:

There is no "switch'' on the outside of the DVD player to make it play DTS. Almost all DVD players I know of have a setup menu, usually accessible through the remote, to get to the audio settings. DVD players with the ability to pass the DTS signal usually have the DTS function shut off right out of the box. That's because the manufacturers assume most people don't use DTS. Therefore, they set the default output to analog (for Dolby surround) and DTS to off.

I just did this for a friend of mine who finally got himself a real home theater. But when he set everything up, we couldn't get it to play DTS. I forgot about the damn DVD player's setup menu. He had owned the player for a while, but since he didn't have the speakers, the player was still set to the default (analog and DTS off). Once I got into the menu, I made the changes and voila! DTS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some players ship in PCM-only mode b/c the manufacturers assume that most of the consumers will hook them up straight to their TVs.

Anyway...

If you are having trouble accessing your DVD's setup menu to turn on DD/DTS output, make sure there is no disc in the tray and then power up your DVD player. Then press "Setup" or "menu" on your DVD's remote. I know it sounds simple, but it is often overlooked as some DVD players don't let you get into the Setup menus if there is a disc in the tray.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that was it! Thank you very much. I've had the DVD player for over a year, hooked up with S-Video, so it never crossed my mind that I'd need to turn those "features" on. Well, I got some movies to watch!

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.