AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together a home theater, and am uncertain whether to go with the Denon 3802 or the 4802. After searching the forum and going through the spec sheets, it looks like the major differences are,

1) 4802 uses two DSP processors, one dedicated to D/A and the other to A/D It has been sugested that the DAC's in the 4802 are of a higher quality than those used in the 3802. (Don't know if I would hear the difference)

2) 125 vs 110 watts/channel. (seems a minor difference)

3) The 4802 has the Aktis remote. (some like it, most seem to think the pronto is better)

4) The 4802 has one more component input (3 vs 2) and runs at 50 MHz versus about 27 MHz for the 3802. (both have more s-video ins and outs than I would ever use)

5) The 4802 supports surround A/B speaker switching. (I won't use it)

6) The 4802 does DTS 96/24 5.1 decoding to convert 2 channel to 5.1 output. (Sounds like it might be interesting for older DVDs)

7) The 4802 allows you to make analog recordings from digital sources. (Won't use it)

8) The 4802 is THX certified.

9) The 4802 is about twice the price of the 3802.

Most of my use will be for watching DVD's and some OTA HDTV, using a front projector. Can anyone think of any other major differences between these two systems that I may have overlooked?

Initially I was only going to be watching DVD's, so I planned on hooking my DVD component out directly to the projector, but now I think I will also be adding an HDTV tuner in the mix, and will need a way of switching between the two, since the projector I get will probably only have one component in. Opinions regarding the component switching capabilities of the 3802 vs the 4802 would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Some have reported that when using the 3802 for component switching with an HD signal, the picture has looked soft.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 4802 and couldn't be happier, I too looked at the 3802 due to price, am glad that I went with the 4802

I think that you answered your own questions by doing your research.

I was able to pick up my 4802 for 1699.00 through American Theater out of NJ.

I'm sure you can get one for a good price!

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I used to have a Denon 2800 which was replaced with the 3802.

I gave up the 3802 and went with the 4802 as I needed more digital inputs, plus the extra power enticed me into purchasing the 4802. I personally love the way Denon sounds, especially with music. I also have become a DPLII freak. IMO everything about the 4802 is better than the 3802.

IMO the 3802 offers quite a bang for the buck. Nice features and the signature Denon sound. I would still be happy if I had the 3802. But I am thrilled beyond belief with the 4802 in comparison.

When I got the 4802 home and configured, the power difference was a more impressive jump from the 3802 than the 3802 was compared to the 2800. The 4802 is also much more dynamic. The bass management on the 4802 is much better than the 3802 as is the build quality.

Is the 4802 worth $1000 more than the 3802? It is to me, but maybe not to another. I suggest taking the 3802 home and trying it out to see if it satisfies your needs. If you want more, take it back and get the 4802. I am pretty sure you would be happy with it.

The Atkis remote is average, the interface is a little weak with all the paging back and forth you will have to do. Hopefully in the future, there will be a new interface that we can download. (Crossing fingers) It works fine for me as my receiver remote, but at this moment in time, I do not feel that the Atkis remote can be considered a good all in one remote. It will do what you want it to, but the interface was not thought out very well.

I do not do any video switching with the 4802. My Proscan 38000 does all of that for me. I use a different solution for switching my video sources that use component video.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the mention of American Theatre. How was your experience ordering from them? Denon does not list them as an authorized dealer, but a sales person there said that they are authorized. I haven't checked with Denon yet, but I have a funny feeling they are not fully authorized...any thoughts?

Richard,

I'm going through a similar search for the same type of receiver. I do like the fact that the 4802 runs at 50mhz and is THX certified.

Also, the 3802 is discontinued, not sure what will replace it?

Howie

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, I would like to thank everyone who replied - really appreciate the feedback.

Howie, I think you might be confusing the 3800 with the 3802. According to the Denon web site, the 3802 is still in production.

I have listened to a 3802 at a friend's house, and it is nice. As Mike pointed out, the real question is whether the differences between the two units are worth the cost delta for me. Obviously that determination is going to vary between people.

Right now I am leaning towards the 4802, but what I really need to do is listen to both side by side. Will see if I can arrange that.

Anyone else want to offer their opinion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
First off, I hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this question inside of this topic.

And I don't want to step on the original topic's toes. I am wondering because I too have been considering the 4802 as my receiver of choice. I then shortly considered the 3802, but one of the main detractors was it's lack of bandwidth abilities (at least on paper) with regards to the component passing. The THX stuff is nice, but I'm not sure if that alone would be a deal breaker considering the price differences.

I had originally figured on spending a good $1800-$2200 for a Denon 4802. I have recently been reading up on the recently released 950 pre/pro. It seems nice. I haven't read anything with regards to how well it passes video, but the audio reviews sound very promising to this point. I know that the combo of the 950/770 would raise the price point a bit, but would it also raise my quality, perception, and enjoyment level? The price difference between the Outlaw 950 with a nice amp (perhaps the 770) and a Denon 4802 isn't too outrageous considering all things. What are some of your opinions on pros/cons here???

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Just chiming in on the power claims comparison between the 3802 and 4802. While Denon specs the 3802 at 110 vs the 4802 at 125, benchtest measurements have shown a much more dramatic difference. With all 7 channels driven, the 3802 only outputs around 75 watts per channel. Under the same conditions, the 4802 was able to hit its spec or even a bit more. My take is that the amp section of the 4802 is significantly upgraded from what is found in the 3802.

Tom B.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, don't worry about expanding the topic. While I am currently only looking at the Denon receivers, if someone has something to add that points me at another receiver, I am more than willing to listen.

Tom, I had heard elsewhere that the published stats were a little misleading and that the 4802 had noticeably more power than the 3802. I am not sure how important that will be to me - my theater is only 14 x 25, so I don't know if I will be needing that much power. Currently planning on getting Atlantic Tech 370THX speaker system.

So here is a newbie question - does amp power provide more than just volume to the speakers? My guess is "yes", but I have been spending most of my time researching projectors and DVD players, and have not had the time to do much audio research yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
rbhargan

I have also had the opportunity to audition the Yamaha RX-V2200 and RX-V3200.

I do not want to confuse the situation any further for you, but those are nice units as well that might be had for a little less than the Denon.

Here is a link to a comparison I did on another board. Sorry to crosslink, but I did not want to make this thread too long! :)

http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...61;t=000628;p=

Over all I also loved the Yammies. I just prefer the Denon, especially when it comes to music.

Good luck again!

Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mike thanks for your link. The more I read the more it sounds like you really get your moneys worth with the 4802.

My only question now would be deciding who to buy from? How does eveyone feel about the authorized dealer issue?...one company here has a very good price listed!

Howie

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You pay your money and you take your chances.

If you go the grey market route, you can forget about a warrantee. Question is, what are the odds of getting a bad unit? Of course, you also have to trust that the grey market dealer you are buying from is not selling "B" stock. If you are getting a Denon make sure it is double boxed. The packaging that Denon ships these out in does not stand up to mishandling (ie "normal" UPS handling).

Of course, if the unit arrives DOA and you payed with a credit card, you should not have a problem getting it replaced. But it is a pain to ship it back and wait for a replacement.

If you want to avoid the potential irritations, then you should buy from an authorized dealer. Best bet would be a local B&M store where you can walk it back if there is a problem. Question is, are they willing to give a competitive price? Probably not.

After shopping around, I would suggest giving Jason at AVS a call. I was pleased with the prices he quoted me, and think that AVS's reputation has a lot going for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Richard,

Most of my purchases on-line have been made through reliableaudiovideo.com. They are the authorized dealer as it is a division of B&M store in New York (Uncle Stereo if I'm not mistaken). I purchased Denon 4802, 3802 and Klipsch reference speakers from them. The experience has been very positive. They've got one of the best prices on the web and excellent service (on-time delivery, items double boxed and always willing to help). I'm not in any way affiliated with them; just a happy customer. Give them a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike - thanks for the info on the Yamaha. I checked out the thread on the *************** and it made for interesting reading.

Sargebucky - thanks for the info on reliableaudiovideo.

My guess is that I will probably go with the 4802, but it will be a few months before the basement is finished and I am ready to order equipment.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have chosen Yammie... but I have a demo'ed the 3802 and the 4802. Although the power difference was huge.. the HUGE difference is the number of inputs. The difference is amazing. You would think that Denon would have something in the middle of those 2 units that would have the power of the 3802 with the inputs of the 4802... but they don't.

This is JMO... but I would not even consider the 3802 based on the limited number of inputs alone.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rich,

I have had my 4802 for two weeks and couldn't be happier. I purchased it from 6th Avenue over the phone. They matched an offer by an unauthorized Denon dealer and included shipping. Email me for the details.

James

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I am missing something, but I am at a loss as to what to do with all the inputs that are available with the 3802, let alone the 4802.

My expectation is that I will have all video going to my front projector using a component connection (both the 3802 and the 4802 only offer one component out). I will run one s-video out to an old CRT (mainly because the Denons will not broadcast the setup menus over component out).

I will have components in from a DVD player and a STB or HTPC. This would use both of the component ins on the 3802, but leave one free on the 4802.

I would run one or two VCR ins and outs on s-video.

So, in my case, the number of inputs is not much of an issue. Obviously this will differ with others.

I was rather amazed the first time I looked at the back of a 4802. The first thought that crossed my mind was "why would I ever use the composite connections, and why do I need a dozen of them?" That might be a slight exageration, but you get the point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbhargan
Maybe I am missing something, but I am at a loss as to what to do with all the inputs that are available with the 3802, let alone the 4802.

The 3802 has 4 digital audio inputs. The 4802 has 8. That would be a killer for me on the 3802. I have 2 coming from my HTPC, 1 from UltimateTV, 1 from the DTC-100 (HDTV), and 1 from my CD jukebox. That's 5 as of now. I have not finished my setup, so there will be more in the future. 1 digital coax and 3 opticals just would be a huge limit for a receiver IMO.

Your mileage may vary. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbhargan

My expectation is that I will have all video going to my front projector using a component connection (both the 3802 and the 4802 only offer one component out). I will run one s-video out to an old CRT (mainly because the Denons will not broadcast the setup menus over component out).
Watch out. The Denons will only switch WITHIN signal formats, not BETWEEN them. So only devices input on component will appear on the component output and only devices input on SVHS will appear on the SVHS outputs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.