AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically subject says it all. I currently own Technics combo.

My speakers are 2xKEF Q75 (front), Q95 (center), 2xQ15

(surrounds), home-made sub.

Will upgrade to Denon 3802 give me noticeable improvement

in audio quality? I mostly watch DVDs.

I am interested in responses from the people who ACTUALLY

USED/HEARD these or similar receivers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Eugene: I am using a 3802 as a pre-amp. I have not heard the Technics combo.

There are 2 guarantees I can make.

2 channel (stereo) based surround via the 3802's Pro Logic II will be MUCH MUCH better than anything the Technics offers. Pro Logic II provides a much more spacious presentation. It sounds wonderful!

The other guarantee is that you'll find the integration of switching and connections to be much easier to work with. The on-screen menus that Denon uses are very easy to follow.

The 3802 also brings 6.1/7.1 sound. If you can accomodate a rear center speaker, you'll move your setup up a notch...

Overall, I would find it difficult to believe you would not be very pleased with the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Eugene,

I use an SH500 as my processor, but combined with custom bass electronic crossover, a parametric EQ, a stereo preamp and 5 channel amp. I find the DD5.1 and DTS to be very good.

HAN is right that DPL II is very desirable for any 2 channel source (VHS, TV, DD2.0, etc.) and would be a definate benefit for someone who watched a lot of video (DVD, cable, satellite, TV, VHS).

Don't know what your current setup supplies for amp power to the speakers, but just make sure you have at least the same or more with the Denon.

I'm not sure the Denon will sound better on DD5.1 or DTS, but it might if it gives you better options than the 100Hz crossover for the sub the SH500D provides. But you will surely benefit from DPL II as we have said.

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.